Instructor dating DM, would I tell students?

Should I be up front with students that my DM is also my long term GF?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If i were a student I think I'd find it quite odd that my instructor felt the need to make that unsolicited disclosure. As a fellow man, I'd probably assume my instructor felt the need to "mark his territory".

When I run an instructor program, I include a small module (a round-table discussion really) about relationships and professionalism. The situation outlined here is a non-issue in my books. In short, who cares. Move on and get teaching. FAR more complicated is hooking up with a student (don't). Teaching a family member or partner (avoid it if possible = don't but for different reasons). Having a student in a class with whom the chemistry is awful... no respect either way. (Try harder.)

Yes you should tell them, and you should do it this way:

"Students, gather round please. I've got some good news and some bad news. The bad news is that you all fail, you're terrible divers, and you shouldn't even think about getting in the water again. The good news is, you see that hot DM over there, the one you've been ogling all day? I'm sleeping with her!" :D

The students are there to learn how to dive, not about your personal life. If you maintain the same professionalism that you do with other DMs, the question shouldn't come up anyway.

I
I try to treat her just like I would any of my other DM's. I am friends w/ all my DM's and I think having a good connection w/ them makes the classes better but I don't want anyone to feel un comfortable the fact we are dating and working together sometimes.

D
I think I'd only be worried if you were treating your DM's like your partner :wink:

Seriously though I can't see why it would matter. If it comes up in conversation just be open about it, but I see no need to make anything of it otherwise, it doesn't impact on what you are doing in the lesson or class. - P

I find it interesting that the sense I get from reading the responses in the thread so far is a consensus that it is a non-issue, meaning it is OK to tell, yet the overwhelming majority of voters said no, it would be weird.

Maybe it is the wording.

I think as long as both provide good quality professional instruction and adhere to safety standards the relationship is a mute point. I acknowledge Knotical's point of a student going to a DM over an Instructor, but whatever the student says should be handled again in a highly professional manner by the instructional team.

---------- Post added October 18th, 2013 at 01:57 PM ----------

I find it interesting that the sense I get from reading the responses in the thread so far is a consensus that it is a non-issue, meaning it is OK to tell, yet the overwhelming majority of voters said no, it would be weird.

Maybe it is the wording.

John...I think it is the wording or the limited poll choices.

I do not think it is inappropriate but I also do not see the need to disclose the relationship either.

The students should be provided quality instruction; everything else should not be a classroom factor.

IMHO...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom