Instructor Gender

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was taught by two guys who were great, and with whom I had not only great fun but felt totally safe. I was learning in Egypt, and must admit that one thing that did make me feel comfortable was the fact that they were English. I think when you are close to the edge of your comfort zone, excellent communication is essential, and had there been a language barrier, I may not have felt quite so secure. We were also made to feel that no question was too simple or daft, all in all a great experience.
I think it is probably the person that makes the difference and not the sex. Having said that, as a woman who is gently inching towards the Instructor route, if anyone feels that they would prefer a female instructor, who am I to disagree!!:)

I had a male OW instructor who was great, and a female AOW instructor who wasn't so great, but gender makes no difference to me whatsoever. I can understand many girls feeling more at ease with a female instructor if she happened to be there. However I can only partly understand why a woman would specify that they want a female instructor unless they had real issues with men. Most guy instructors, to give them credit are very professional and do not intimidate people. To say you don't want a male instructor seems to me to be a statement against men, as if they're all untrustworthy or macho or something. Do many women think of men like this? Is it a fear thing? Why?

To answer my own question I think Dive_Girl PNW has made a good point:

>>Sometimes when learning a physical sport that makes one step out of their "comfort zone" people will seek what they believe they will feel comfortable with.<<

I'm probably talking complete rubbish and don't mean to offend anyone. I feel comfortable around men in general anyway so never was an issue for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom