Instructor Gender

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GDI

Artificer of Havoc & Kaos
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
:doctor:
Ladies this may have been on an earlier post I'm not sure. Would you have felt more comfortable with a male or female instructor. If the instructor was good is that all that matter. I think the industry is better off having a mixture of both male and female divers. I am just an inquiring mind

to another instructor...It should be as close to 50/50 as we can get. There are really no differences in technique other than personality.

Joe

I agree that it should just be a difference in personalities, but I do find that some female students have chosen me specifically because I am a female instructor. Sometimes when learning a physical sport that makes one step out of their "comfort zone" people will seek what they believe they will feel comfortable with.

when there is a choice of equaly qualified teachers.
It is not a real important point but might be a tie breaker in a rare instance.

I think that the more even the mix of women and men divers and instructors the better

I didn't even think about it before I signed up (and had a male instructor) but when I struggled with a skill, he asked a female instructor friend to come in a work with me (yes, I was the only female in the class) and I appreciated it.

I've taken more classes from him since and most of my instructors have been men.

Our shop has a female instructor/owner and I think she is an assest. Some students are more comfortable with her then one of the guys. Anything to add to the comfort level works for me.

Joe

GDI:
:doctor:
Would you have felt more comfortable with a male or female instructor. If the instructor was good is that all that matter. /QUOTE]

Doesn't really matter to me. It so happens, I have had all male instructors except for EFR, where the Instructor was female. But as there was no diving involved in that, it doesn't really count. I didn't feel uncomfortable with male instructors at any point. I can understand, though, how some women might prefer to have a female instructor. Main thing is quality of instructor

For those of you who said you'd rather have a female instructor; woul dyou mind stating why?

divemed06:
For those of you who said you'd rather have a female instructor; would you mind stating why?

i DEFINITELY needed female instructors for OW. why? fear, awkwardness, lack of confidence.

the book skills were easy, the the practical/mechanical skills less so. male instructors -- most -- would have intimidated me, made me feel incredibly stupid. not entirely because of their behavior/attitudes; it's partially my issue. but the women were uniformly patient, easy-going, etc.

as my confidence grew, gender stopped being an issue. men have taught every class i've taken since. with one rat fink exception, they've ranged from good to excellent. the man who did my DM and AI is now one of my closest friends. he's going to take me through my IDC.

BUT -- as an AI, i deal with countless struggling women (and men). the women, at least, seem universally grateful to be working with a woman -- i'm less-threatening.

Back
Top Bottom