Instructor hasn't registered certification with PADI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rgilkes

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey all,

I completed my OW and Nitrox with a local instructor in Jacksonville back in May. After the course, the instructor gave us temporary c-cards that he hand wrote/signed. After about a month, I reached out to the instructor because I hadn't received an email from PADI nor anything in the mail (he told us the email would come in 2-3 days and physical c-card in 4-6 weeks). The instructor didn't respond to phone calls (voicemail was full) or email. In fact, the only thing they responded to was Facebook messages. They told me that it would be processed soon and they would keep me updated. Over the next month, I sent two more FB messages to check on the status and they stopped responding. Finally, I sent a FB message, email and left a voicemail (finally) saying that I didn't want to escalate to leaving bad reviews/contacting PADI/BBB, but their unresponsiveness was extremely unprofessional. Like magic, I received responses the same day and TA-DA I received an email from PADI for my OW that afternoon.

My issue now, is that I paid an additional fee to complete my Nitrox cert the same day and they have not registered that with PADI. My temporary c-card expires next week and I'm not really sure what to do. They are not responding to any forms of communication. Is there anything I can do by reaching out to PADI or any other method to get the cert registered? Am I just stuck trying to file a dispute with my credit card company for the amount I paid for the Nitrox class?

Thanks for the help!!

It seems you have been more than patient with the instructor's lack of professionalism, far more than I would have been. Since the instructor is apparently blowing off your electronic attempts to contact, I would pay him/her a face-to-face visit as that type of confrontation is a lot more difficult to ignore. Then I would call PADI, explain what has been going on, lodge a formal complaint against the instructor, and drop the hammer on a social media blitz. I'll bet those actions will get you some pretty quick results. Unfortunately some people need a foot put up their rear end to get them to do what you paid them to do. I would also wager that you are not the only one that is having the same problem with this instructor.

Last edited:
Was he an independent Instructor, or associated with a dive shop? If he's associated with a shop, you should involve them in the "discussion". They have a reputation to protect. You mentioned credit card payments, so that's why I presume that there is a shop involved.

If he is independent, it's possible that he's having financial problems and spent your money but hasn't paid PADI. If PADI hasn't been paid, they won't issue a card to him, for you. (Of course, the same could be said of a dive shop... they are "just" businesses and certainly many are struggling these days.)

PADI should be able to help. I would forward any documentation you have including copies of your temporary card. This confirms that you successfully completed the course requirements.

I'm not sure that I agree with the suggestion of a personal visit. What are you going to do if he says he can't pay PADI, beat him up? Really, your only path to resolve this is through the shop (if there is one) AND PADI.

The purpose of the personal visit is not to have a physical altercation as that would not be in the Ops best interests. A face-to-face visit insures there is documentation against such excuses as "I lost my phone...My computer died...I didn't get your messages" or any other lame excuses for taking the money and not completing the contract. I suggested the personal visit because the instructor is apparently ignoring her calls, emails, etc., and I have had very good luck dealing with unreturned calls and emails by making an unannounced visit with video recorder in hand and a couple of witnesses. The fastest resolution to a similar problem I had concerning a businessman that sold my boat and was dragging his feet on paying me was by doing exactly what I suggested above. It is amazing how fast problems can be resolved when you don't give disreputable people an opportunity to ignore you or claim verbal misunderstandings, and they know their antics are going to be plastered all over social media.

Contact PADIi imediately. Padi states in the instructor manual "Within seven days of a student finishing all course requirements, the certifying instructor who completed the final open water training dive or the last performance requirement of courses without dives, must submit a PIC"
He is doing you and PADI an injustice by not complying. He needs to be set straight.

At this point there is no value in talking to the instructor anymore. As people have already stated, you need to contact PADI and tell them what has happened, they will straighten it out for you

Think of the next round of students that have to put up with this BS. Drop the hammer on this guy and alert PADI, the local shop and social media. If this guy really cared about his reputation, this would not have gone on this long.

What is the instructor number on your OW card?
Good question. What is the instructor number on card. Let's see if he is a real instructor active and insured properly. If dues and insurance is not current PADI will not issue cards.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom