Instructor Mandated Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

b1gcountry

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Okay, my instructor is giving me a lot of flack because my equipment is a lot different than his. I wear a BP/W along with a short/long hose, where I donate from my mouth, with the backup bungeed around my neck, and I do not wear a snorkel.

Does anyone know the exact PADI requirements for DM gear when assisting students? How can an AIRII be acceptable when a bungeed backup on a short hose is not?

Thanks,
Tom

Equipment
Candidate equipment
During open water scuba training,
each divemaster candidate must be
equipped with the proper equipment
for the diving environment. This
includes, but is not limited to: fins,
mask, snorkel, cylinder, regulator,
alternate air source, buoyancy control
device (BCD) with low pressure
inflator, backpack (if not integrated
into the BCD), where weights are
appropriate, a quick release weight
system, appropriate exposure suit
for the environment, timing device
and depth gauge (or dive computer),
compass, knife/dive tool (unless prohibited
by local laws or regulations)
and an emergency signaling device
(whistle, flare, inflatable signal
tube).

Do you have those? Then you should be good. Can you convince your instructor that working with you is offering him a learning opportunity, as well as a teaching one? :14:

kari

I don't think the issue is whether it is acceptable to PADI or not, rather acceptable to the instructor. This is because each instructor will teach in his or her own style, and the DM needs to compliment that style. This has nothing to do with gear choices and whether one setup is better than another. It is your job as the DM to work with the instructor in the manner that the instructor sees best for the class. If this does not mesh with your personal style, the solution is really to assist with a different instructor more suited to your style.

b1gcountry:
Okay, my instructor is giving me a lot of flack because my equipment is a lot different than his. I wear a BP/W along with a short/long hose, where I donate from my mouth, with the backup bungeed around my neck, and I do not wear a snorkel.

Does anyone know the exact PADI requirements for DM gear when assisting students? How can an AIRII be acceptable when a bungeed backup on a short hose is not?
Typically you're expected to use equipment that the shop you're working with sells, since students will often buy what their instructor is using, and the shop is in business to make money. You're also expected to use equipment that is similar to what is shown in the texts and videos.

Whatever they use is what you should be using.

Remember, once you "go pro", you're doing pretty much everything to please others (shop or customer) and what you want is generally irrelevant.

Once you're been teaching for a long time, you can probably work in a little more of what you want and a little less of what the shop wants, but typically it's counter-productive to annoy the boss.

Terry

Warren_L:
I don't think the issue is whether it is acceptable to PADI or not, rather acceptable to the instructor. This is because each instructor will teach in his or her own style, and the DM needs to compliment that style. This has nothing to do with gear choices and whether one setup is better than another. It is your job as the DM to work with the instructor in the manner that the instructor sees best for the class. If this does not mesh with your personal style, the solution is really to assist with a different instructor more suited to your style.
I don't quite agree. The instructor in this case has an opportunity to do something outside his own comfort zone, and to perhaps gain some additional insights into his own teaching methods. An unorthodox student every now and then should be refreshing. Just as I'd expect a DM candidate to learn something different from everyone he works with, so should that instructor be open to learning new things from his students - particularly at the level of DM.

kari

b1gcountry:

Thanks,
Tom
Err ... because he's the instructor? While I agree with you in the specifics and Kari has great attitude toward it, a lot of folks don’t like to mix their kool-aid and shouldn’t be forced to. I’d recommend a less anal-retentive instructor or perhaps you could be a bit less up tight. Get a snorkel and one shorter hose and, at least for the class, you’re all set. You both might learn something.

Karibelle:
I don't quite agree. The instructor in this case has an opportunity to do something outside his own comfort zone, and to perhaps gain some additional insights into his own teaching methods. An unorthodox student every now and then should be refreshing. Just as I'd expect a DM candidate to learn something different from everyone he works, with, so should that instructor be open to learning new things from his students - particularly at the level of DM.

kari

Perhaps so, but remember that depending on the instructor, a DMC trying to make potentially dramatic changes in teaching philosphy, at least from the standpoint of the instructor, may be taken very lightly. Rightly or wrongly as this may be, I do believe in being open minded, but I suspect the average instructor who has been teaching for quite a while may not be as accepting of changes being suggested by someone with no teaching experience. And we're talking here about a DMC and not a seasoned DM, aren't we? This is just my take.

Thalassamania:
Err ... because he's the instructor? While I agree with you in the specifics and Kari has great attitude toward it, a lot of folks don’t like to mix their kool-aid and shouldn’t be forced to. I’d recommend a less anal-retentive instructor or perhaps you could be a bit less up tight. Get a snorkel and one shorter hose and, at least for the class, you’re all set. You both might learn something.

My thoughts exactly.

Warren_L:
Perhaps so, but remember that depending on the instructor, a DMC trying to make potentially dramatic changes in teaching philosphy, at least from the standpoint of the instructor, may be taken very lightly. Rightly or wrongly as this may be, I do believe in being open minded, but I suspect the average instructor who has been teaching for quite a while may not be as accepting of changes being suggested by someone with no teaching experience. And we're talking here about a DMC and not a seasoned DM, aren't we? This is just my take.

Fair enough. And you're right - there are differing degrees of flexibility in instructors, as evidenced here on scubaboard. :wink:

kari

Perhaps you should think about a compromise of some sort.

I rarely teach OW these days, as I prefer to teach what I do, which is technical diving. A few years ago I was asked to teach an OW class for the shop I have worked with for the last 12 years. I agreed. After the first pool session, the owner called me into his office and asked that I not teach OW in a BP/W setup. After a little discussion, I could easily see his point of view, and we came to a compromise. a few points:

- as others have said, shops are in the business of selling equipment. They look up to the instructor and other staff as leaders, and will typically buy what they wear.

- if the students are in jacket style bc's, you should consider a similar configuration (regardless of what you think is better)- too many options confuse students early on.

The compromise we came to was that when teaching OW I would use shop gear just like the students for pool sessions, but was free to dive a BP/W on the OW dives. When teaching any other recreational class, I was free to use any configuration I chose, including doubles- as it's a great way to introduce students to new and exciting things.

Something like this might be worth a shot for you as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom