Instructor missing - Manzanilla, Trinidad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Diver, 66, missing off Manzanilla - Trinidad and Tobago Newsday
A search is under way for a 66-year-old diver who went missing off the coast of Manzanilla on Sunday.

Reinaldo Novoa, a retired nurse, went alone to dive and has not resurfaced.

Mayaro police confirmed that a search was going on at mid-morning on Monday.

His son Reinaldo Novoa Jr told Newsday that his father may not have hit land as yet, based on information received. A message circulating on social media said his last GPS co-ordinates were 1027711 06043332.

The message said Novoa went missing while doing an open dive at 3.45 pm on Sunday.

“He is a strong swimmer and diving instructor and did have a buoyancy device. Coast Guard is waiting for air support before co-ordinating their efforts, which (are) still to be sorted," the message said.

“As a family, we are asking all owners of boats and fishermen along the coast from serpents mouth to Gran Cayo Point, Mayaro all the way up to Toco to join efforts this morning (Monday) to search for him.”

Novoa is a pharmacy representative and father of two from Westmoorings. The message also says he is a grandfather of seven and is married to Jasema Mungalsingh.

“Time is of the essence. He does have survival knowledge and experience to last this long. Please help this morning,” it said.

A man identified as Bryan, a “very close friend” of Novoa, said the search is ongoing.

“We have a few crews searching right now, including the Coast Guard and Bristow Helicopter Services, to see how best we can find him. We began co-ordination yesterday when we got the news at about 4 pm,” Brian said. “The boat had dropped him off to dive, and later the boat couldn’t locate him.”

During a dive if someone is lost due to heavy wave and land on an island what can he or she do to save himself or herself?. They do not even have any sort of signal to let other people know their locations. I think we should carry a flare gun so that in these cases we can use it to let people know our locations.

During a dive if someone is lost due to heavy wave and land on an island what can he or she do to save himself or herself?. They do not even have any sort of signal to let other people know their locations. I think we should carry a flare gun so that in these cases we can use it to let people know our locations.

Who is this "we" that you are referring to?

-Z

I think we should carry a flare gun so that in these cases we can use it to let people know our locations.
There are signal strobes that can be carried. My PLB has a pretty good one on it, and I don't go anywhere land or sea without it.

It's good to bring a couple simple items on every dive that could help attract attention to yourself either at sea or on land: a mirror and a small LED flashlight.

The mirror could be either an actual mirror like a compact or even a CD/DVD. In sunlight you could use that to signal with. It's helpful to bring the small flashlight on any dive, day or night. Not a big flashlight but a small flashlight hanging off your wrist for example.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom