Instructor Responsibilty in Continuing Education (Split from Catalina Death)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Once again, let me state that I have never said that, "an instructor is ultimately responsible for anything a student might do ..."

Would a 100 hour Scripp's like course be better than shorter classes? Of course. Is there a happy medium? Somewhere. What is it? I don't know.

That's the real question now isn't it? Some instructors can teach more efficiently than others. Some students require more time to learn and gain the necessary skill-sets and confidence than others. Some geographic locations lend themselves to requiring more preparation time than others.

I would hope that every instructor would know what a happy medium is. The goal however must first be defined. For me it's to prepare the diver to act as an effective member of a buddy team and dive independently of supervision. My program is approximately 50 hours of training.

I still take umbrage at (my perception) of Thalassamania's opinion that an instructor is ultimately responsible for anything a student might do but let me take personal accountability for perceiving it in a contumelious fashion.

Wow, I haven't seen the word contumelious used in a sentence since taking the SATs back in the early 80s!

:eyebrow:

Wow, I haven't seen the word contumelious used in a sentence since taking the SATs back in the early 80s!

:eyebrow:
It is so nice to see a rise in the level of the discourse around here.

You may find that as LDS disappear more convenient alternatives crop up. I can remember when guys used to cart compressors around behind their truck and sell fills right there at the local dive sites.

The thought of that really scares me. I have a degree of confidence in the compressors at the LDS. But, unless it is someone I know and trust and know I (or my next of kin) can find later, I'd be hesitant to buy air from someone who just shows up with air. ... It reminds me of the day I was having lunch at a place here in L.A. and some guy came up to my table and asked me if I wanted to buy any CDs or movies. He said he had all the latest ones for just $2 each.

Note: Ken, if you show up with your compressor, I'd get air from you ... especially if the "price" has not changed.

The compressor cart guys had great air, they knew what they were doing and they were there every weekend. You got to know them and they got to know you, just like any business. It was hardly the fly-by-night kind of operation that you fear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom