instructor training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MarkJ

Registered
Reaction score
New to the board--- just left my first post on the newguy page. I'm hoping to get feedback on options for becoming an instructor. From what I've read and researched so far, the pay sucks but that's OK. I've always loved teaching and helping others learn new things so this is the place I turned

My dive experience is pretty unusual---OW cert by NAUI in college in '91 no diving after that---- went to commercial school at Ocean Corporation in '94 and no diving after that. I have good basic technical knowledge but need to get in the water and put it to use. Thanks for any help!

My advice is DIVE A LOT... I have over 150, and still feel that double that might be best.

Know your instructors! I am switching from PADI to NAUI for just that reason. I feel that I have a dream team of instructors. Very solid and very tough.

Prepare to be humiliated! I have been, but thats OK. If I can just get through 4 more days, I will be fine!!!

Yep, once again I have to agree with Netdoc. Dive lots. Check the instructors out. If you can move up the ranks by being taught by a Course Director or Instructor Trainer, all the better.

Remember, you will have the same traits as your instructor.

When I decided to become an instructor I did so over a two year period. I am a PADI instructor.

I had to re- learn to dive when I decided to become a divemaster and had to learn to dive again at my IDC . I found out at my IDC that my instructor had taught me a bunch of crap.

Work for a store. You will probably do so for free.

As for being an instructor, it is not my full time job. Check out my other posts on how I feel about it.

Ron

thanks for the info... My ultimate goal is to own a shop or store. I would also like to get into u/w film & video.
I suppose the money is like anything else... you have to be in the right place at the right time.

Back
Top Bottom