Insurance - DAN or diveassure?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Galun

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, my wife and I had about 10 dives, and we are now looking at buying dive insurance. I searched on the board and narrowed down the choice to these two (would be three but PADI will start partnering with DAN). Here's my comparison of the two, and I would appreciate any advice!

When comparing the best plans (DAN preferred vs. diveassure platinum), diveassure seems to have better coverage. First, it's primary coverage vs. DAN's secondary coverage. Second, the maximum coverage in all comparable categories seems to be higher. Third, diveassure seems to cover more items outside of the actual diving accident itself (basically with diveassure you get the AIGAssist program will cover non diving incidentas as well), Forth, there are lower deductibles. If I analyse "bang for the buck", it seems like diveassure is the easy choice.

However, everybody knows DAN, and I am not so sure about diveassure. I have read so many positive experiences for people with DAN. I am just wondering if there might be any delay of medical attention if I have diveassure instead of DAN. At many places outside of the US it seems like a show me the money first mentality, and my concern is that if I have diveassure they may delay medical attention. However, maybe I can just give them my credit card which will get me immediate medical treatment, and then have diveassure take care of things later... Then this wouldn't be a concern.

Any thoughts / advice? Thanks!

Galun:
.. I am just wondering if there might be any delay of medical attention if I have diveassure instead of DAN. At many places outside of the US it seems like a show me the money first mentality, and my concern is that if I have diveassure they may delay medical attention. However, maybe I can just give them my credit card which will get me immediate medical treatment, and then have diveassure take care of things later... Then this wouldn't be a concern.

Any thoughts / advice? Thanks!

I can not comment on DiveAssure, I am a 'DAN Man'.

Not sure on the money first mentality you refer to. I have yet to experience that from any self respecting professional in the medical field. Yes, on the backend you may end up with a long drawn beaurocratic battle when not completely covered. But when immediate medical attention is needed, I do not believe any medic in the world would ask for financial assurance first at the risk of increasing danger..?. Maybe I have too much of a rosey view on this????

I don't know about diveassure, but DAN is more than just an insurance company. They put your premium towards medical research related to diving, and are there to answer any questions you may have before you go diving. For instance... if you are on some type of medication, you can call up DAN and talk to someone about how it might effect your diving.

Also, I think the point of diving insurance is to cover your immediate needs related to diving, for instance, flying you out of a remote area and getting you into a decompression chamber. It's not necessarily designed to cover anything your normal medical insurance should cover.

Again, I know approximately nothing about DiveAssure. I just wanted to point out that there's alot more to DAN than what you pointed out in your post.

Ar, yes, I know about DAN's efforts toward research. That's why we joined DAN as members to support them regardless of whether we get insurance from them. I am trying to separate the insurance decision from my decision to support DAN. Supporting them is one thing but if I pay for insurance I want to get the best one.

As for the money first mentality, it may not be true in the US becuase of the laws here, but it may or may not be a real concern outside of the US. My view may be influenced from the fact that I grew up in Hong Kong and I know first hand that in China it's money first then medical treatment later. Maybe it won't be like that in most dive destinations, but I guess I just don't want it to be a concern at all.

Both have good reputations and both are backed by AIG Insurance. DAN is secondary insurance. DiveAssure is primary insurance. For this reason alone I perfer DiveAssure.

It has been my experience that Diveassure is top notch, fast reliable service. The lady that I work with fell getting onto a dive boat, not a diving accident. Broke her arm and had to be rushed to a hospital. She did not have her Diveassure card with her, but was able to contact them. They took care of everything including the flight home from the 3rd world country, AND offered to have her husband fly back with her. Top notch and no complaints. I carry Diveassure, but recommend that you do the research and chose for yourself :wink:

I have Diveassure have not had to use them (knock on wood). I got them because it was travel insuance and dive insurance in one package. Hopefully I will never have to see how they pay, but the coverage is there just in case.

WesTexDiver:
The lady that I work with fell getting onto a dive boat, not a diving accident. Broke her arm and had to be rushed to a hospital.

Yes, this is another thing that I forgot to mention in my original post. In a case like this (border line "diving accident"?), diveassure will no doubt cover this as it is written in their policy. Will DAN cover an incident like this?

My LDS changed from recommending DAN to Diveassurance FOR 2006!

Thanks for all the advice. I went with diveassure. It seems like the diamond plan includes both comprehensive travel insurance and also lost equipment coverage. The lost equipment coverage in diamond plan is not restricted to loss resulting from an accident, but rather during "covered activity", defined as a dive or dive vacation. There is also no restriction on reimbursement per item - good for those with expensive dive equipment. Finally, one of their agents told me that their comprehensive travel insurance would cover cancellation of a dive vacation due to pregnancy, which is perfect for my wife.

Back
Top Bottom