Insurance - DAN or diveassure?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eduardo:
Thanks to OP as this was a issue I am evaluating. Leaning toward Diveassure.

Although Diamond 1500 is more than double the cost of DAN Preferred ($155 vs $70) it offers the following advantages IMHO.

1. $5000 comprehensive equipment coverage - not just "diving related"

2. $100 deductibles for trip cancellation/interruption - vs. $250

3. Non-diving illness/accident coverage for you and family members (wife and kids don't dive...yet).

4. Primary coverage - as previously noted

Seems to worth the addtional cost. Hope I never need it...especially the $10,000 for "repatriation of remains to USA".

I started with the platinum plan, but upgraded to the diamond plan after I learn more about it. A few more additional details I found out about the diamond plan made me upgrade:

- Equipment insurance does not cover water damage, but covers pretty much everything else. There is no maximum reimbursement per item. Good for sites where they store your equipment in a locker overnight.
- Trip interruption insurance - if I am on a dive vacation and the resort had to call the dive on say 2 days out of 5, I can claim interruption insurance on those two days, subject to the $100 deductible of course.

The diamond 1500 plan is a great deal for us. The platinum costs $179 for two of us versus $184 for DAN preferred ($70 + $70 + $44 for DAN family membership, this is a true comparision even though it would only cost us $140 since we are DAN members). For $100 over the cost of platinum it covers each of us (family of 2) for $1500 each. That's about 3% for coverage (cost $100 for $3000 of insurance combined) of any trip taken within a year with only $100 deductible. For us DAN will cost $162 for $1500 worth of coverage for 2 people on one signle trip and $250 deductible. The equipment coverage is not as good as DAN (H2O) since it does not cover water damage, but it is comprehensive insurance that's included in the plan.

I have no idea on their claims process, but I hope I will never get to use it, and I am getting the insurance primarly for the dive insurance part anyways. If it's a medical emergency I know I will be covered. For other more boarder line stuff like trip cancellation, interruption, lost equipment, etc... well, with diamond 1500 I am not paying that much more over DAN preferred, and the policy is printed in black and white that if I feel I have a valid claim I can grind it out with the company from the comfort of my home.

Galun: Thanks for all of the helpful details on the policy. I had an alarming experience today when I called DiveAssure to ask a few final questions and purchase the plan.

Call#1: early morning; waited on hold for 2 minutes; told to leave message and wait for return call.

Call #2: 30 minutes later; same recorded message; I left a message stating that I wanted to purchase a policy with my phone #.

Call #3, #4, #5, #6: throughout the day; received same recording; tried several options but never talked to anyone live.

I'll try again tomorrow but I'm not too confident in an insurance company that doesn't answer the phone or call you back when you are ready to buy their product. I'm leaving for Oahu on Friday and need to get a policy in place soon.

Eduardo:
Galun: Thanks for all of the helpful details on the policy. I had an alarming experience today when I called DiveAssure to ask a few final questions and purchase the plan.

Call#1: early morning; waited on hold for 2 minutes; told to leave message and wait for return call.

Call #2: 30 minutes later; same recorded message; I left a message stating that I wanted to purchase a policy with my phone #.

Call #3, #4, #5, #6: throughout the day; received same recording; tried several options but never talked to anyone live.

I'll try again tomorrow but I'm not too confident in an insurance company that doesn't answer the phone or call you back when you are ready to buy their product. I'm leaving for Oahu on Friday and need to get a policy in place soon.

Hahaha, that was my initial experience too! I think I tried to call them for two days and eventually bought the policy without talking to anybody from diveassure. I bought the policy after seeing some initial responses here and talked to my LDS that also happen to recommend diveassure. I did eventually get a call back like 3 - 4 days later? Try emailing them - they seem to be faster that way, but I did send a few emails to them that demonstrated my frustration with their unresponsiveness.

Personally I wasn't too worried about their unresponsiveness in the sales department. That probably just mean they are under staffed, maybe for the holidays or something. If there is a problem the number I call goes directly to AIG Assist, which is manned 24/7/365. I do think that AIG Assist is a generic "help" line for many AIG insurance products so I may not get diving specific advice like I would get from DAN. However, the local operator and docs would hopefully know what to do anyways. AIG Assist does handle medevac so I assume they can get a hold of someone who is trained to assess the situation. If I need a ride to a chamber, I assume AIG Assist would have a list of chambers. Basically, I am betting that AIG knows what they are doing.

Galun:
If there is a problem the number I call goes directly to AIG Assist, which is manned 24/7/365. I do think that AIG Assist is a generic "help" line for many AIG insurance products so I may not get diving specific advice like I would get from DAN. However, the local operator and docs would hopefully know what to do anyways. AIG Assist does handle medevac so I assume they can get a hold of someone who is trained to assess the situation. If I need a ride to a chamber, I assume AIG Assist would have a list of chambers. Basically, I am betting that AIG knows what they are doing.
(Emphasis added by Merxlin)

Sorry, but for me that is too many assumptions. When I need this level of help, I'm not willing to put that much faith that a company will come through. All companies will have some drawbacks, but at least DAN is a tried and true company with true diver support in place. JMHO.

If you have a hit you dont need a list of chambers, the dive op you are with will call for an ambulance that will take you to the nearest chamber or your buddy will call 911 if you are diving w/o an op. AIG is one of the largest insurance companies around. Since you will have your card the # you need is on it. Even with DAN you will not need a list of chambers, 911 will get it done. I dont know if DAN USA have fixed thier problems with some chambers, but it does not matter because DAN willl ethier pay the chamber or have to pay you back, the chambers are not going to refuse to treat you. With ethier insurance you will not have to assume anything. With Diveassure you are just getting travel insurance with dive insurance. I just like the idea, one payment one insurance co. You can do your policy online and print out a copy to take with you.

Merxlin raised a good point and that made me go back to verify some things with diveassure.

I found out that I was pretty much wrong with my initial assumptions. I will only need pre-authorization in the case of a medevac, where AIG will arrange the transportation. For medical treatment, I just need to notify AIG at the earliest convenience, but I can go wherever I want and everything will be reimbursed. It seems like in an emergency I can either trust the locals, or I can call DAN's 24 hour emergency hotline and have them arrange / coordinate things locally. The medical service will just be paid for by diveassure insurance instead of DAN insurance.

AIG is the underwriter for both of these programs. If you buy DAN or you buy DiveAssure you are getting AIG. One is primary and one is secondary.

Are there any differences in Remains Return coverage between the two policies?

Thanks. Good to know.

I have Dive Assure, after many years with DAN.

My agent (smart, X-Navy diver) told me it is better because it is primary.

So...I just trusted him. I am surprised so many dive assure people posted...looks like they are gaining market.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom