Integrated Inflator/Alternate Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you're going to spend $250 (or whatever) for a reg, don't waste it. Look, I always advise getting gear that can be utilized if you ever get the itch to get into advanced diving. You'd be hard pressed to find a relatively knowledgable tech diver with one of these gizmos on a tech dive. I wonder why. You can buy a Apeks TX40 (super reliable) second stage for way under $200 (you can get a TX40 first and second for $200), and you'll never "out grow" it.
Those reg intergrated inflators are not a great investment, IMO. They require service just like anything else; they aren't particulary reliable (so I've heard); they can be way too expensive for what you get; and if you get into technical diving, you'll learn that they offer nothing more than additional failure points. Now, if all you're ever going to do is look at fishies in 30' of warm water, then do whatever :). Spend wisely and think about your future diving possibilities.

That's my advice. :jester:

Mike

I have many regs all of which I still use for something or other.

I still greatly prefer my 8 yr old SP air2 to an octo for tropical/semi tropical reef diving and the benefits over the years, especially with frequent travelling have been worth the extra $$. I have had no problems with air sharing, reliability/head turning or breathability. The only negative to mine (other than the initial investment) is that it does seem to require more adjusting/tinkering/service than the my standard SP second stages. Could just be me.

I also (briefly) had a Beuchat. It was hard to use and did not breathe well.

But if money is a key consideration, I would suggest as above that a good quality standard 2nd stage would be more versatile.

Enjoy whatever you end up with!

Mike and LD, thanks for the tips.

I think anyone insisting on using the combo thingy for open water non-tech diving could improve the setup by having a longer primary hose. The times I've practiced with mine, the problem was the donated hose was just way too short. Duh. BTW, my SeaQuest Airsource has been extremely reliable and breathes very well.

Neil

Ok like I said Ive used the air2 for 14 years 700+ dives no problems! All dives in the 35 to 65 degree range( no freezing problems ever) For some reason this board is a apecs is best board!!I have never even seen one!! i used a scubapro g200 for 13 years and now have a atomic z1 The guys i dive with have scubapro g250s and atomic t1s and we have never had a regulator problem ever....... All of us use air2s with no problems ever. yous can say what you want but i have never seen air2 problem ever!
my 2 7/16 cents worth Rick L

It's funny how people of different regions experience totally different things regarding gear. A lot of people I know in the Northern Michigan area have very little good to say about SP's and cold water. Sure, there's a few guys up here who use them and like them, but I wouldn't -- not for cold water. Free flows and SP's seem to go hand in hand up here. Yet people of another region, under similar circumstances, will swear by them.
The same can be said about the integrated inflator regs. I've personally seen three Air II's malfunction in some form or another. Other guys I dive with have seen other models fail. If you go to another region, you may get a totally different attitude. Based on my experience and research, I can't recommend them for any type of serious diving. For me, if it's not good enough for serious diving, I don't use it or recommend it.

That's what these boards are about, I guess. :)

Mike

I kinda go along with what LY says on this topic. Whether you should get/use one of this integrated octos kinda depends on
  • you,
  • the type of diving you do (or will eventually get into)
  • and where you do your diving.
I originally purchased the TUSA version of the integrated inflator octo when I did my "all-in-one" purchase of my Zeagle/Apeks reg and Zeagle Ranger BC. But after a few dives with it, playing with reg switching, swimming for considerable distance breathing with it, and other activities, I came to not like it and traded it back to the LDS for another bit of gear.

Since my plan all along has been learn my way into technical diving, breathing performance of my backup was a key thing. I found the TUSA integrated octo to not perform as I would have liked. Also, the operating buttons for inflation and dump were not as intuitive as most power inflators are. And finally I did not like the restriction in movement because of the "shorter" hose as well as not being able to put the inflator hose through the velcro keeper that the Ranger has on it.

So my take on these is now, if you are going to dive purely recreationally, they're okay. Not great or fabulous, but okay since they do function as advertised.

But if you plan on getting into technical diving (for me defined as deep, cold, deco, and overhead diving), then you want a high quality second stage such as the TX40 mentioned earlier.

I personnally dive with a traditional octo, mainly because I don't want to have to deal with intergrated models on an ascent. I'm sure it can be done and done safely, but the traditional octos seem simplier to me. And you know the old saying, "Keep it simple stupid".

But from a technical diver's standpoint the point seems moot to me because they are usually fitted with redundant regs and doubles or at least an H valve and redundant regs. Course I guess they could use one reg for nothing but inflation and add the intergrated octo, but I doubt you'll convince them of that.

As far as this being an Apeks board goes, I guess I'm partially responsible for that cause I recommend them every chance I get. But that doesn't mean they are the only regulator nor does it mean they are the best. I found out a long time ago that there is no "best" with scuba gear, there is only what's best for you and your needs. My wife dives an Aqualung Titan LX for that very reason, it suits her needs best. She didn't like the bulk of the Apeks line at the time and the LX offered a compact, yet very capable regulator. Had the LDS been a dealer for ScubaPro, she may very well have went with one of those.

Like TexasMike said, if you plan to dive purely recreationally, these integrated units get the job done. When I dive rec, I use an AirSource II myself on a SeaQuest Balance, mounted on an Atomic B1, with a Tritium SPG on the RIGHT HP port; makes for a very clean setup.

I haven't had any problems with the AirSource II, and as far as integrated units go, it does have a longer corrugated hose, allowing more head movement to the right. More, but nothing great, the point being you're supposed to abort anyway and not really try to dive an entire dive on your backup (which the AS2 is).

Also, as with traditional octopus configurations, the key is really to practice using them. Moreso with the integrated units, as you will have to control your BC during ascent while the unit is in your mouth.

Going on to "different experiences in different regions" -- most of the divers I know who use integrated units use the SP AIR2 and these unfortunately (at least in my experience) have a tendency to free flow (the purge button, which is much smaller than the butt end of the AIR2, and recessed, tends to stick when pushed in to purge) (and this is in tropical water). They don't breathe as well (in my opinion, anyway) as the SeaQuest AirSource II either.

I use a Tusa Duo Air almost the same as an AIR II. I have used an Octo as well and I prefer the Duo Air. Most Octo's don't breath well at all and to me the extra hose is a pain. With the Air II you know right where it is all the time, no extra hose. Just practice using it until you are comfortable. This is one of those topics where everyone has an opinion so you will have to sift through the advice and decide what is right for you. I don't do "tech" diving and I don't subscribe to "DIR". I just rig up the way that is most comforatable and safe for me.

Scott

There are a lot of ways to achieve the same end. But in SCUBA diving the guys who perfected lifesaving techniques like the WKPP, GUE and the likes have made an impression on my style. I am not a cave diver nor do I do wrecks all the time. I primarily dive with a single 120 HP steel tank. I travel a lot and I dive many different waters.

Here is my point: The second regulator is for your buddy or whoever needs it. When an out of air situation occurs I doubt you will see the nice out of air/share air hand signals being used. The out of air person will be grabbing the regulator out of you mouth! This is why I dive with a long hose (5') and a quality secong regulator bungeed under my chin (yes I can grab it with my teeth). Any diver who is considering using a BCD/inflator reg as as alternate air source should seriously consider my mesage.

Out of air divers occur at ANY depth. I dive with this configuration all the time. Shallow, deep warm or cold. As a responsible diver it is the least I can do for my fellow divers who may need my regulator.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom