Integrated Inflator/Alternate Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CA-Steve

Reaction score
I am considering purchasing an integrated alternate air/BC power inflator system. My LDS suggested the Scuba Pro Air 2. Any suggestions or recommendations on this or any other similar product? Thanks.

Hi CA-Steve,

Before buying one you might want to have a hunt around a few threads in here and look at the pros and cons of buying one. I was going to get one to streamline my kit, but have read both positive and negative things about them, and decided against it (things like having your inflator in your mouth while your sharing air, and trying to maintain bouyancy control!).

Diving with gear is the best way to make a purchase decision - see if your LDS is going to put their money where their mouth is and let you dive with a rental one first.

cheers

Well, I did -MY- homework and still bought the little doo-dads. They work great on paper, and breathe nice. But when you really need one their flaws come through! You can NOT turn your head fully to the right, and you freak others out, who do not realize that you are NOT breathing through your BC inflator. They do breathe OK (even at depth), but after dealing with one for a whole dive (my primary puked) I would rather not. Instead, I use another octo, or my pony bottle. I sure do love how fast it fills my BC though!

My preference is for an integrated octopus/inflator for most open water dives, but for a more Hogarthian rig for deep or overhead environments. I have both an old Air-2 and an Air-Source and find both easy to use and with acceptable breathing characteristics.
Rick

CA-Steve,

As an emergency 'octo' regulator replacement, I have no quarrel with the integrated/inflator Air-2 system. It's convenient, accessible, and works as advertized. I've had no problems controlling bouyancy when the Air2 reg is in my mouth.

However, depending on the length of your BC inflator hose, you will not be able to turn your head fully to the right when the Air-2 is in your mouth. Turning your head sharply might even pull the reg out of your mouth!

The large BC hose also presents some resistance when turning your head to the left, especially if the tank air supply hose is coupled to the inflator hose along its length. Although noticeable, the resistance can be overcome. Just remember to keep a 'tight bite'.

I bought the Air-2 initially to eliminate the clutter of an octo reg--which it did. Eventually, though, I may reattach the octo, clutter and all. Sortta like having a belt AND suspenders...

Warren

You'll do yourself a favor (especially in the long run) if you just get a regular octopus set up. Breath the reg on the 40" nose (which you donate), and hang the back up on a bungie necklace around your neck. This solves everything in one swoop of a pen.

Mike

Need details, let me know.

IMO, the combo unit works if you practice with it A LOT. My wife and I can share air with these like nobody's business, but I recently had a little incident U/W with a student that dramatically demonstrated (see my grey hairs) some inadequacies. I'm going back to an octo with students and people I haven't rehearsed with.

Mike, I like your idea of using the 40" hose as primary. How long would you make the backup hose? Just long enough for me, or long enough to reach if someone snaps it off the bungie?

Neil

Hey Neil,

The backup hose should be about 26". This is YOUR backup and if someone tries to grab it, bite their friggin' fingers :D . The way you attach the necklace is by way of the mouthpiece zip tie. You take your mouthpiece zip tie you have and cut it off (leave the mouthpiece on). Take your bungie necklace (not exactly sure how long a piece you need off the top of my head -- 14"?) and place the ends on boths sides of the mouthpiece. Then you take a new zip tie and put it back on with the bungies being sandwiched between the tie and the mouthpiece. This way, both your mouthpiece and the necklace aren't going anywhere.

A 40" hose is OK for basic openwater, but if you want the best in streamlining and comfort, a 5' or 7' hose is awesome. You take a 5' hose route it under your right arm, across your chest, behind your neck and into your mouth. Donate by flipping it over your head (milliseconds) and bingo, you have lots of comfort and space to straighten things out. Your backup is right there under your chin waiting for you, and not in some convulated fancy keeper collecting mud or whatever or inside a pocket. Some guys can even bend their neck enough and grab the backup with their teeth -- hands free!

That's it. It's so easy and simple, it's rediculas.

Mike

PS. The 7' hose is primarily used by overhead divers so they can exit a cave or wreck in single file. The routing is basically the same except the excess is tucked inside your waist strap or tucked under a knife or cannister light on your right side.

Neil,

I've had folks recommend anywhere from 22-26" for the bungeed back-up LP hose. I think the optimal length depends on how you have your tank positioned, the orientation of your LP ports on your first stage and whether you are diving doubles or singles. I played around with my set-up when I first started using the bungeed back-up......I now mount my tank higher than I used to and I mount my TX-100 first stage upside down (LP hoses come out of first stage at a better angle). After buying a 22" hose initially and deciding it was too short, I ended up with a 26" hose.

I dive single tanks, but if you were using doubles, the length you need might be different.

Hope this helps.

Hi ive been using a scubapro air2 for 14 years now (same one for 14 years) I have never had a problem with it! But I have been with many divers who have had trouble with a 2nd regulator!
A lot of divers buy cheap regs as backups. Besides its only to things to get serviced or repaired and one less thing to free flow on you!!Someone said they not as comfortable to use on a dive ie short hose . but if your using your backup you should be aborting your dive as soon as possible.
my 2 cents Rick L

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom