• Regular Weight Belt

Votes: 33 29.2%
  • Don't use weights

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Depends on the diving situation

Votes: 16 14.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Like everything in life, different strokes for different folks.
What works for some might not work for others.
No right or wrong here, just preference.
I, myself prefer weight belt.

I set my weights up half on a belt & half in my BC......you need to add this way to your survey.....

integrated weights for my son and me. A weight belt on my son slides right off - no hips to keep it up. A belt on me rubs on the hips. I have pulled the weight pockets out and handed them up before boarding as others have stated. Otherwise I board with all gear.
If I have on a dry suit, I have weights divided between both integrated and zippered pocket belt.

If you use a weight belt, don't take off your BCD before handing up your belt or you might become part of the bottom.

If that is a problem then the diver is overweighted.

COMBINATION seems to work best for me. I keep 4 pounds in the back pockets (Scuba Pro) of the BC near the top of the tank and 4-6 on a belt. Seems to keep me trimmed out the best and it is easy to slip off the belt and hand it up if necessary. Dropping the belt, in an emergency would be easy and gives me positive buoyancy. I don't like to put too much in the BC for all of the previously mentioned reasons.

Wing with BP, traditional weight belt. I don't believe in having the weight on the BC rig. That would make doffing and donning cumbersonme due to the bouyancy imbalance. That is bad form. N

I've seen someone randomly lose a weight pocket at ~85ft. The DM searched for, found it, and replaced it for the guy at depth. Nice.

In contrast, I've accidentally dropped a weight belt in class. That was a completely different circumstance, but it goes to show stuff happens either way.

The only reason I don't like integrated weights is it's always a pain to switch tanks (either pulling off an incredibly heavy BC, or the hassle of removing and replacing weight pouches). The weight belt is much easier for me to handle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom