Interesting order experience with Scuba.com

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I feel your pain! Mine goes along the line of which delivery address to use. I order something from Amazon and use my physical address, it gets delivered to the house. A week later I order something again from Amazon but get a "Not able to deliver" notice because the post office can't deliver to my house or UPS can't deliver to my P.O. Box. I contact Amazon and ask how I can tell which delivery method they will use so I can present the proper delivery address and get. " We use UPS, FEDEX or USPS dependent on which is better for the customer" Oh Yeah that helps!

A few hrs later I received a "problem with your order" e-mail telling me that they can't process my CC. Called them again and they told me that the address I gave them for shipping wasn't my billing address. I said " Of course not, you didn't ask me a billing address and gave them the billing address. Then today (day 3) I still didn't hear or receive a confirmation e-mail from them so I called.
They told me that they can't process my order unless if i contact my bank and tell them to add my shipping address into my bank acct.
I told them that I never heard such a thing but I will check with the bank.
So I called the bank and they confirmed what I was telling the scuba.com operators all along.

CC processing companies only allow a limited number of failed attempts on an order. After that, it doesn't matter if you're The Pope trying to order Holy Water, it's not going to happen.

I'm guessing that actually shipping the wetsuit was a mistake by scuba.com.

"Ship To" <> "Bill To" is a huge red flag, since most of the time it's fraud.

Terry

WHAT?!!! You're not supporting your local LDS?!! How dare you? That is why this happened. :) Kidding, of course. Jim....give me a heads up as you go through the buying process for various things. I've already done it (and somewhat recently). Between the wetsuit, drysuit, 4 tanks, two computers, vest bc and bp/w, etc, etc, I've done a LOT of shopping. Let me know what you're looking for next and I'll help ya get the best deal. Then you can buy me a beer at Avalon!!

I ordered a couple of masks from them. No problem doing it on a Mac. One mask fit my daughter fine but mine had huge gaps on my lower face (supposed to fit most faces). I returned it as as non fitting and was promptly credited for the purchase amount. I was pleased and would do business with them again.

No problems. I understand backorders. I was happy as a clam that they let me know the day after I placed the order, so I could find the item somewhere else soon enough for me to get it for my upcoming vacation.

I did mention that I found the item somewhere else cheaper when I cancelled the B/O, and no one mentioned the 150% price guarantee. I didn't care since it was only a couple bucks. Had it been more I would have pressed them.

Product showed up today. As ordered.

Don't get me wrong... They were very nice and professional on the phone.
What I just wanted to point out that NO OTHER company ever told me to do what they wanted me to do in the past 5 years and hundreds of purchases.
I always use my bank's check card and they do not require my shipping address to be in my acct.
That was #1...

I understand if that was their (scuba.com's) procedure and ONLY way to accept an order BUT what surprised me that still they were able to process the order and ship with a lightning speed without me doing anything they wanted me to do.

And all it took me to call them and ask to cancel my order. Right after that phone conversation with the operator within literally two minutes they processed my order (which couldn't be done since two days) and I received order confirmation e-mail. That was surprising and strange to me.

I am not complaining... Just pointing out a strange incident. Today my new dive skin arrived. Shipping was fast too. Great product. Loved it. Looking to use it under water asap.

H2ANDY>>> Thank you for helping me to find this product by posting the link.
You guys are a good bunch.... !!! :)

Good morning and thanks for the kind words everybody and my apologies for past errors and issues for the rest. We really do try our best to do a good job for everybody but for lack of a better excuse at the end of the day we really are human.

The adding of an authorized shipping address to the notes field of your credit card for orders over a certain size is something that was developed with the online credit card processing companies and the banks in order to help retailers protect themselves and their customers from the fraudulent use of your credit information. The banks know that while that nifty security code on the back of your card is handy and secure, what if your wallet or card was lost or stolen? Then the thief also has your security code in their hand. By checking the billing address, an automated function for American and Canadian Credit cards, and having the card holder authorize the shipping address, the retailer and the bank can be reasonably assured that there is no fraud involved as only the card holder should have the information to phone thier card issuing bank and make changes.

Is this a hassle? Not usually. But sometimes. It generally takes less than 5 minutes to add an authorized shipping address, and usually less than that. Even though this program is developed in lieu of a better system by the banks, often times smaller banks don't clue in their employees and they have no idea what you are talking about. Other times it is the newest person in the company stuck on the phones learning customer service, so they have not been taught yet.

In the case of Captain Jim, I am the one who took the order. Being the person who has been doing this since the inception of the company and has been involved in many of our policies here over the years, I can assure you that when we spoke on the second occasion, after the paypal order, I did indeed ask for a Billing Address as I do for every single order I take here. In fact, I often don't ask for the shipping address assuming if it is going elsewhere, you'll tell me. So, 100% of the time, you are asked for your billing address. There really is nothing else to say to that, as if you aren't asked for it, as you can see, your order won't get approved.

As for the cancelling of the order, again. I apologize. Calls are taken by our instructors, in the case of an order change or canecellation of some sort the order is printed and sent to warehouse to be stopped or changed. The order paperwork is then brought to customer service to have any alterations. Sometimes the request doesn't catch the guy shipping and the order makes it onto the pallet before it can be retrieved. Most of the time it isn't an issue.

Lastly, Paypal. Paypal is another animal entirely. We are 100% bound by what ever comes to us via Paypal. They verify their own addresses and information and handle all the money. We cannot alter any of the information on a Paypal order. That is not our rule, its Paypals. I can refund money but I can't take more, for example. For that matter you as a consumer don't want me or anybody else to have access to your paypal info. You may as well just call me with your bank numbers and password. So, again, that is a feature designed to protect you as a consumer.

So, in the case of Capt. Jim's order I do apologize for any errors we made or could have handled quicker. No excuses. But these checks were put into place not only to protect ourselves as a company but to also protect our customers and their credit information from theft and fraud. Since implementing them it is a very rare occasion indeed that we have to enlist the aid of local law enforcement officials to help recover stolen gear and/or deal with helping consumers work with their credit card companies to straighten out their credit info.

Honestly, as an online shopper myself, I find that ANY company who does not take these sort of steps is only doing it because they think it is more of a hassle to them than it is worth. Do you seriously want to trust your credit information to ANY company who feels your information is a hassle and not worth their time?

Again, like I mentioned before I wasn't complaining. Just talking about the unusual experience. In the future I will buy from Scuba.com again. I like the attitude of the everyone I talked. Everyone was nice and the order arrived in lightning speed (once it's shipped).
Well, now my dive skin is in my hands. I am looking other stuff at scuba.com

Scuba.com seems to have customer service problems, I'm not blaming any particular individuals for this, as it seems to be somewhat more systematic. I think at the root of it is that their ordering system isn't robust enough to handle any slightly odd cases and there isn't enough human intervention to cover these technical holes.

I've placed 3 orders with Scuba.com, two have left me fairly unpleased (they did the right thing eventually, it just wasn't a good experience)

The first included a cheap underwater camera. The thing was broken when I got it, drained full batteries in less than a minute (something must have been shorting or whatever). I e-mailed them and was told to send it in along with a return form. I did this and waited something liek 6 months without ever hearing back. Then I sent them an e-mail complaining: didn't hear back. Being pretty angry I wrote a 1 star review of the camera, which Scuba.com never posted: maybe that's why their items all have such praises, they just surpress negative reviews? I had given up hope but then a month or so later they sent me an e-mail saying they'd refunded the money. I was happy they did the right thing eventually, but the process was far from smooth.

Anyways, even though I was kind of angry over this, they did refund my money so I decided to give them another try. I ordered a bunch of accessories, an octo, etc. A week or so later I realized my order was just sitting there, not shipping. I contacted them, this time by the Live Chat considering they don't check e-mail very well. I was told there were a couple items they didn't have in stock and it would take a couple weeks to ship (why didn't their site tell me this when ordering, or at the very least sent me an e-mail explaining this?) Fortunately the rep did offer to split my order, which I agreed to.

Then I got the first part of my order and something that was supposed to be included was missing (I ordered female and male parts of a gear clip: they were sold seperately but you really need both to be useful). Once again, I used the live chat, and was told that the item was discontinued: why not tell me isntead of simply not including it? I then asked if I could substitute a similar female clip that was the same price since I'd already payed for it, he said ya and took care of it (I later saw they sent a refund for the amount without telling me and then charged me for the 'replacement': I only saw this by checking my bank statement, no e-mails or anything: again I didn't get ripped off but I wish I would have known what was going on).

Another problem was once he split the order the system got incredibly messed up, sending me 10 different e-mails for two orders and the pricing and everything just got all confused. Not a pleasant experience.

I don't recommend using them until they can sort out some of their problems. Scubatoys also doesn't have a particularly robust ordering system, but they seem to depend a lot more on human intervention in orders and I think this makes them a lot more customer friendly. Computers can only effectively replace humans when they work well, otherwise you get messes like this.

----

In their support, in the end I did get everything at the correct price. I also returned another item (a bag, it was too small) and got a refund promptly and an e-mail explaining that they'd recieved the item (this is more like the customer service I'd expect).

They do have a great selection and I may use them for accessories and items that aren't critical I receive right away. But for any big ticket items or things I require in a fairly short timeframe, Scubatoys will get my business.

Jim,
Glad you got it. Sorry for the delays. Let me know if I can do anything else for you! Now that addresses are all hashed out with the CC companies and such everything will be easier in the future so long as we use the same address and card.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom