Interesting order experience with Scuba.com

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capt.JimDavis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Well I am new on this board and in scuba jargon but I've made hundreds of purchases on the net before therefore I can say that I am experienced in spending money!

Monday I tried to purchase a Dive Skin (recommended here on this forum) from Scuba.com. I tried 3-4 times to checkout via PayPal but for some reason my Mac couldn't connect their server at the checkout.
So I called them the next day and ordered on the phone. A few hrs later I received a "problem with your order" e-mail telling me that they can't process my CC. Called them again and they told me that the address I gave them for shipping wasn't my billing address. I said " Of course not, you didn't ask me a billing address and gave them the billing address. Then today (day 3) I still didn't hear or receive a confirmation e-mail from them so I called.
They told me that they can't process my order unless if i contact my bank and tell them to add my shipping address into my bank acct.
I told them that I never heard such a thing but I will check with the bank.
So I called the bank and they confirmed what I was telling the scuba.com operators all along.
So I said forget it and called them today 4:55 pm and gave the operator my order number and told him just simply cancel my order. He said "no problem sir, I am canceling right now".
By 4:57 I received an e-mail indicating that my order was shipped with a FedEx tracking #.
This was the strangest purchase I ever made online so far.
Are they always like this or was it my luck?

Generally, I've had good luck with scuba.com. The only issue I've ever had is things being backordered for awhile. I think I had to wait a month for my can light. Otherwise, they've been fine. Of course, I've never tried using a Mac, either :wink:

I've had great success and response from Scuba.com in many orders. Much better than others. I just had a backorder item shipped 2 day fedex without me paying for it.

It is quite common for web retailers to request that you add a "shipping" address to your credit card account if it is different than your billing address. I get this all the time with camera and electronic gear purchase. It's for your protection.

Hmmm...interesting.

Never had a problem ordering with scuba.com...I actually think they are better than most. I did have some minor delays w/ items being back ordered, but they still shipped relatively fast. Sounds like you may have gotten a new operator/order taker when you called the first time.

Mac/PC shouldn't make a difference w/ Pay Pal...sounds like you just happen to hit it at a time when they might have been experiencing trouble with their server or something.

John

I'm a mac user and I haven't had issues with their site and never had any issues with service either. I have been asked to make sure the shipping address is on file with the credit card company for security reasons. In terms of your mac problems - some sites aren't tested in all browsers so I always have another one (firefox, opera, etc) standing by and it usually fixes 99% of problems :) Enjoy your new skin!

I had one item out of 3 that was on long back order. I called and cancelled it, and had the credit the same day, and the rest of the order shipped that day as well. Other than being left on hold for 10 minutes, I've had good experiences with them.

Well I am new on this board and in scuba jargon but I've made hundreds of purchases on the net before therefore I can say that I am experienced in spending money!

Monday I tried to purchase a Dive Skin (recommended here on this forum) from Scuba.com. I tried 3-4 times to checkout via PayPal but for some reason my Mac couldn't connect their server at the checkout.
So I called them the next day and ordered on the phone. A few hrs later I received a "problem with your order" e-mail telling me that they can't process my CC. Called them again and they told me that the address I gave them for shipping wasn't my billing address. I said " Of course not, you didn't ask me a billing address and gave them the billing address. Then today (day 3) I still didn't hear or receive a confirmation e-mail from them so I called.
They told me that they can't process my order unless if i contact my bank and tell them to add my shipping address into my bank acct.
I told them that I never heard such a thing but I will check with the bank.
So I called the bank and they confirmed what I was telling the scuba.com operators all along.
S?

There have been past complaints about scuba.com, but they are one of the bigger online scuba shops, so you're going to see someone else having issues...

I've never had to add the Shipping Address to the credit card, but it's common practice for credit card companies for when you purchase something online and ship to another address for them to question this issue.

I've had this done numerous times when Ive shipped from the electronics and camera retailers to another address. I've often had to call the credit card company and tell them I was shipping there and for them to verify my information in order to get the charge authorized. this is the credit card company trying to keep down fraud and protect you.

but I can't blame Scuba.com for this one. just Standard Op Procedure for the credit card companies... regardless of where you shop.

I had one item out of 3 that was on long back order. I called and cancelled it, and had the credit the same day, and the rest of the order shipped that day as well. Other than being left on hold for 10 minutes, I've had good experiences with them

scuba.com has a unique business model. they don't stock much and get inventory weekely from the dive manufacturer distributors that are all within a day or two drive for shipping purposes. so when they don't have something and can't get it from the distributor, it creates a back order situation a lot.

I have ordered from Scuba.com without any problems. I do know from other vendors I have purchased from I needed to add an additional shipping address with my bank.

.........scuba.com has a unique business model. they don't stock much and get inventory weekely from the dive manufacturer distributors that are all within a day or two drive for shipping purposes. so when they don't have something and can't get it from the distributor, it creates a back order situation a lot.

No problems. I understand backorders. I was happy as a clam that they let me know the day after I placed the order, so I could find the item somewhere else soon enough for me to get it for my upcoming vacation.

I did mention that I found the item somewhere else cheaper when I cancelled the B/O, and no one mentioned the 150% price guarantee. I didn't care since it was only a couple bucks. Had it been more I would have pressed them.

Back
Top Bottom