International Orange Hood

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ben Dugger

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Wet suit hoods need a patch of international orange material just as hunters wear. It can be seen a long way and is not mistaken for anything else. It would easily be seen by boaters and a lost diver could be seen at a distance.

Ben

Would that be in lieu of or in addition to a safety sausage/DSMB. It seems to me the latter is more visible, needs to be carried on every OW dive, especially around boats, and would be preferred. But the hood would be better than nothing if worn. I would save the $$ for a sausage or DSMB.

IMG_0448.jpg

Why do we need that? If you are planning on diving in the ocean, you should be smart enough to be carrying a DSMB.

Nice response flamer diver

Whats you point? You enjoy people suggesting useless inventions that A) already exist and B) are not because because of currently existing items which are superior?

Maybe we should suggest somebody create a bottle to hold compressed air for breathing from underwater? Oh yeah, it's already out there.

Wet suit hoods need a patch of international orange material just as hunters wear. It can be seen a long way and is not mistaken for anything else. It would easily be seen by boaters and a lost diver could be seen at a distance.

Uh, no.

Why do we need that? If you are planning on diving in the ocean, you should be smart enough to be carrying a DSMB.

Exactly.

I could do the reversible, so I could go orange in case of an emergency, but I like my basic black :)

by emergency, I mean:

1: I messed up and can't find the boat/shore
2. my spool snagged, and had to let go of my dsmb to avoid a rapid ascent
3. at the surface, the wind got a hold of my backup smb and took it away
4. I dropped my signal mirror when pulling it out of my pocket

kidding aside, it is not a bad idea to have an orange hood, although I don't see it as necessary.

You can pretty much order what you want from Terrapin Wetsuits. They have both mini and full hoods and have several designs as well as the option to order your own custom hood. Neon green and international orange are definite color options and the quality is first rate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom