International Purchases

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nyscubanerd

Registered
Reaction score
OK, about 4 months ago I purchased an UWATEC Aladin Z Nitrox when I was on vacation in France. I recently dove with some people in NY, one of which was a Scuba Pro store owner. He was telling me how I would not get assistance on Internationally bought products in the US because they are considered Grey Market. Could someone please tell me what this means? The guys even said that scuba pro manufactures items differently if you are outside of the US due to US legal issues.

If you know of how this applies to other brands/products I would also be interested.

Thanks,

Kevin:banging:

I'm afraid it is true. Although, I am not certain about Scubapro's warranty policy. I have purhased items from overseas ( most recently a dive watch) and I found out that they were not covered by warranty in the US. I had to pay for cost of repair, and it wasn't too much really. Look at the warrany information that came with the computer.

Anyway, most computers are covered under warranty for only one year, and what are the chances that your Uwatec could break on you the first year? Unless you dive every day...
;-0

I bought a Suunto Cobra.
It worked for 2 dives and then quit on me (I won't bore you with the details)
Luckily for me, I bought it at my LDS and one reason I did this is the promise of a loaner if for some reason my computer quit.
Well this happened in March and I have been using the loaner ever since. Word is my computer has just come back (actually Suunto is replacing the unit).
Leason for Life: Buy items that are expensive, have greater potential to fail, require regular servicing to maintain warranty from your LDS.
;-0

Wow, sounds like I'm screwed if anything happens. Is the computer any different than the one I would buy in the US? I can't picture Scuba Pro manufacturing two different watches.

Thanks for the responses,

Kevin

Here is a quote from SP’s UK site.

http://www.scubapro.co.uk/warranty.html

"To obtain warranty service you must either bring your SCUBAPRO regulator together with proof of purchase to any authorized SCUBAPRO dealer or send it to SCUBAPRO, or to any other SCUBAPRO factory in the United States, Europe or Asia."

While this is about regulators I would sure argue with SP if you purchased your computer from an authorized dealer and have the paperwork to prove it.
SP states that they will not honor their warranty for mail-order/internet purchases.

Notice they say ANY authorized dealer, including the United States in their UK warranty. The same should apply to any overseas purchase from an authorized dealer if you have proof of purchase.

Worth a fight in my opinion, but hopefully won't be an issue!
Bill

I find Scubapro's After sales service in the US to be outstanding, BUT.... I purchased a Computer (Scubapro EDI) from Australia last year, SP USA wont touch it with a ten foot (3.048meters) pole.

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom