Internet Purchases?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When your new LDS goes out of business as a result of being undercut by internet sales, I hope you can find another LDS.

This is laughable. Why is it always about the LDS? What's wrong saving some of your hard earned money.. :popcorn::popcorn:

Anyway, I'd always ask my LDS if they can match it close to the online price. If they do, then they have my business. If not, I take my business to either Scubatoys or Leisurepro.

So what do you guys think about standard octos vs octo/inflators?

I just thought we might direct the conversation towards something that's never been discussed on SB. How about computers vs tables? Maybe the whole "mask on forehead"?

One thing about this issue, it will never die!

Going through this thread has me scratching my head. How does an "unauthorized" on-line shop get its stock?

And on the octo/inflator question. To my mind if you're sharing air on ascent, that 3rd hose comes in real handy.

I've heard, could be wrong...that unauthroized dealers get grey market items. Items from overseas or buying in bulk from shops that are going out of business. I've been curious if this is true...so if anyone knows for sure please chime in.

Going through this thread has me scratching my head. How does an "unauthorized" on-line shop get its stock?

From the same place that an "authorized" dealer gets his stock...minus the silly, self-serving retailer restrictions that come along with being "authorized".

Some of the scuba companies are even taking it a step further....admitting that they are selling to "unauthorized" places, but making them "unauthorized", with all of the harm that causes them. (What? You kidding me?)

Phil Ellis
Discount Scuba Gear at DiveSports.com - Buy Scuba Diving Equipment & Snorkeling Equipment

I have been told that if I buy something from a dealer on the internet, it could nulify the warranty of thet item. Is this true? I am looking to purchase a dive computer ( the Oceanic Pro Plus 2 ) and have found that I could save money by buying it on-line.

I would love to buy it locally if the price was close but in this case, the price difference is significant. I'm a little gunshy if the warranty is in jeopardy.

Any opinions or experiences?

Thank's
John

It's probably true. If you purchase some products on line then you may not have the warranty. If it's a product that is prone to problems then this is something to worry about and the few bucks more you spend for an authorized dealer purchase may be in order. If however it's a unit that should give you 2-3 years of un-hampered use then save some dough.

How many things do you buy every day that are under $500 bucks that you really could not care about the warranty on ?

Just something to think on.

Buying lycra socks off the internet makes the baby jesus cry. And if you buy an Atomic Aquatics mask online, the terrorists have won.

The last time I heard a theory about how a certain infamous internet dealer got its AquaLung/Atomic/etc products was that they were simple straw purchases from authorized dealers. They setup straw purchases but do so in bulk and deeply discounted. Then turn the items around for a few percent markup over the few percent markup on the cost price that the dealer sold them for. This explains the erratic stocking that dealer has for these branded items.

Of course, that is about as verified as bigfoot. I really wish a few of these companies would lift the prohibition on selling their non-servicable items online. (masks/fins/suits)

Bu

The last time I heard a theory about how a certain infamous internet dealer got its AquaLung/Atomic/etc products was that they were simple straw purchases from authorized dealers. They setup straw purchases but do so in bulk and deeply discounted. Then turn the items around for a few percent markup over the few percent markup on the cost price that the dealer sold them for. This explains the erratic stocking that dealer has for these branded items.

If that's true that LP (or others) get their Aqualung gear from 'straw purchases', then how does that explain how LP had the Legend ACD regulators shipping them before the authorized dealers had them?

Kinda hard to get a 'straw purchase' turned around that quick if the dealers don't even have them yet.

It's a clear pointer that a direct purchase was involved. Whether or not a "shadow dive store" name was printed on the invoice is irrelevent. It was still direct.

If that's true that LP (or others) get their Aqualung gear from 'straw purchases', then how does that explain how LP had the Legend ACD regulators shipping them before the authorized dealers had them?

Kinda hard to get a 'straw purchase' turned around that quick if the dealers don't even have them yet.

It's a clear pointer that a direct purchase was involved. Whether or not a "shadow dive store" name was printed on the invoice is irrelevent. It was still direct.

Did you call the largest AL dealers in the country to see when theirs arrived?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom