Internet vs. LDS--A conversation I had this morning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

it needs to be an authorized dealer is that if it is not then there is no warranty except from who you bought it from. IF it is shipped Oceanic won't give it a warranty period!!! Even if you buy it from a dealer as they won't warranty any products that have been shipped after sold. To me this is crazy they are saying their product can't be shipped other then from them or it goes bad. I do try and buy from LDS as I think we should support them,you can't take a class online and you can't talk to them about local spots and such online, in most stituations!!!

awap:
Why does he stipulate that it must come fro0m an authorized dealer? Can it be a foreign authorized dealer? Can it be used?

Maybe your LDS is not so great!

komi hunter:
it needs to be an authorized dealer is that if it is not then there is no warranty except from who you bought it from.
Yes, but this wasn't a warranty issue. What Angie wanted was to get the computer put into her console, and (I think) to have the console attached to the first stage. Seemed like a good way for the shop to make a few bucks on labor, and gain a customer.

The shop had every right to refuse to do the work. And Angie had every right not to go back to them again.

OBTW... while attaching an HP hose is pretty straightforward, getting a computer to fit into a console may not be. Even the "hockey-puck" modules that look like they're standard dimensions (Oceanic, Aeris, Sherwood, etc.) aren't all the same underneath; they don't necessarily fit into each other's consoles or boots without alterations. I wonder what brands Angie's computer and console were... and whether Angie was successful in getting the computer put in?

--Marek

Marek K:
The shop had every right to refuse to do the work. And Angie had every right not to go back to them again.

Maybe not. Maybe they refused because of her gender. A judge with a basic understanding of good business practices might find that more believable than the idea that the shop would not provide profitable service because you didn't buy it from them!!! Was there any clear policy statement in the store supporting there refusal?

awap:
Maybe not. Maybe they refused because of her gender.
You think? Well, maybe... hoping to convince the little lady :ignore: that they needed to service the console before attaching it?

And what exactly would that entail?? "You know, Ma'am, it's real... um... complicated technical stuff that only we dive professionals would understand..."

Be kind of hard to prove that, though...

But if so, it didn't work. And it doesn't change the conclusion that the shop quite rightly lost a customer...

--Marek

I have said it before and I'll say it again, before you get mad at the LDSs for their frustration with online sales you should realize the anger should be directed at the manufacturers. They try to control the pricing, they control the regions and the disribution of their product. Unfortunately the LDS takes their frustration out on the customer who bought online because the LDS is responding to the sympton and not the disease.
I am not justifying the LDS response in this case just be aware thanks to the dive manufacturers the LDS is being hard hit by volume (internet) merchants.
Things need to change in this industry and soon.

HI guys! An update. I grabbed my gear, a wrench and a beer (ok, I didn't drink the beer until after tearing apart my life support gear...GRIN) Took a wrench, put the console on myself, tested it in the tub, no leaks and the gauges are working. Got my dive buddies BCD which is the same as mine, figured out how the elastic bands are threaded and did it myself.

What a failed to realize initially was that there is a pin holding the hocky puck into the wrist strap. Once I figured that out, it was a done deal.

I once had an old boyfriend tell me "It's a darn good thing you are pretty..."

But, issue taken care of without having to take it to LDS.

Angie

AngieDinOKC:
HI guys! An update. I grabbed my gear, a wrench and a beer (ok, I didn't drink the beer until after tearing apart my life support gear...GRIN) Took a wrench, put the console on myself, tested it in the tub, no leaks and the gauges are working. Got my dive buddies BCD which is the same as mine, figured out how the elastic bands are threaded and did it myself.

What a failed to realize initially was that there is a pin holding the hocky puck into the wrist strap. Once I figured that out, it was a done deal.

I once had an old boyfriend tell me "It's a darn good thing you are pretty..."

But, issue taken care of without having to take it to LDS.

Angie

Good for you Angie, probably just saved yourself the price of a 12pack too.

AngieDinOKC:
HI guys! An update. I grabbed my gear, a wrench and a beer (ok, I didn't drink the beer until after tearing apart my life support gear...GRIN) Took a wrench, put the console on myself
:yelclap: :yelclap: :yelclap:
AngieDinOKC:
Got my dive buddies BCD which is the same as mine, figured out how the elastic bands are threaded and did it myself.
Oh, you never said anything about that!!
11.gif
That is a highly technical feature that you should have taken to the LDS. Um, where'd you buy the BC?

03.gif

Uh, what elastic bands?
AngieDinOKC:
What a failed to realize initially was that there is a pin holding the hocky puck into the wrist strap.
Yeah... Was it an Oceanic by any chance, computer and console??

Anyway... way to go!!

--Marek

Marek K:
:yelclap: :yelclap: :yelclap:

Oh, you never said anything about that!!
11.gif
That is a highly technical feature that you should have taken to the LDS. Um, where'd you buy the BC?

03.gif

Uh, what elastic bands?

Yeah... Was it an Oceanic by any chance, computer and console??

Anyway... way to go!!

--Marek

Yes, the computer and console were both Oceanic. The BC is a scubapro LadyHawk that was given to me as a gift (brand new from a dive shop in Dallas). There is an elastic band that laces over the bladder. I dove with it loose a couple of times and without it there it made it difficult to dump. I just relaced it and secured it exactly as it used to be.

Ang

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom