Internships in Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

irishrebel

Registered
Reaction score
Koh Tao or Pattaya. Thinking of doing it for a year and get the best qualifications that I can. Where are the best places at the moment, i know they change over time. Basically any one have any advice. Plus no shameless plugs if possible just some help thanks

after you do an internship, can you get employment in thailand? is it easy to find employment, or work for the same lds you did the internship for.

obviously with having the necessary working visa.

allot of choice in koh tao where to start! pattaya less choice for internships, wondering do they offer a little bit more qualifications?

All DC's that offer the internships have their offers of what's included (courses, specialties etc) on their respective websites, that's something you will have to sort out between yourself and the dc. More qualifications doesn't necessarily mean more quality!

This is a great question and there is a very diverse set of beliefs about what is best...and I have my two cents as well :wink:

Pattaya has a couple dive centers that really push the Internship program, but they tend to lack in actual students as very few people go there to learn to dive. So you will get plenty of theoretical training, but not as much hands on. Koh Tao has many, many students - so there is a huge pool of opportunities to learn. There is also a more diverse set of dives sites to learn from.

Choosing the dive center is not easy. It will have a lot to do with your expectations and plans. This will involve lots of communications on your part...seeing how they reply and what kind of help they offer. I would also try some forums to see what the lifestyle is like...and if it fits you. Pattaya and Koh Tao are a rather different demographic.

Please take it with a grain of salt, as I live in work in Khao Lak, but there are a couple other places to consider as well. Obviously Khao Lak, but Koh Lipe is also a good alternative. Again - consider the place you will be living for several weeks (months).

As for work afterwards - that is always a tricky subject. Some places may offer unlimited diving, or greatly discounted diving. It was something offered long ago, but having a guarantee of work afterwards is very rare these days. There is a far larger supply of divemasters and instructors that there is supply. However, special skills, the right personality and good work ethic might get you noticed :)

I agree with what similan diver has said - however I would advise you to consider SSI qualifications. You can be both a PADI and SSI instructor or just one. However there is way less competition when looking for work as an SSI Instructor particularly here on Koh Tao.

Koh Tao or Pattaya. Thinking of doing it for a year and get the best qualifications that I can. Where are the best places at the moment, i know they change over time. Basically any one have any advice. Plus no shameless plugs if possible just some help thanks

Hello IrishRebel -- Thanks for your question and congratulations on considering "going pro."

As you've discovered there are a number of centers out there advertising "internships," but in fact there are really only a handful of centers worldwide offering a completely all-inclusive, immersive, end-to-end experience that truly can be considered an internship.

Aquanauts is one of the pioneers of the 3-7 month training program and has the best pass rate of an instructor training facility in Thailand. We are the only center with a 100% pass rate since JUNE 2007 and, in fact, offer a written guarantee that you will pass the IE your first time through or we pay for you to resit the exam.

Our dedication to quality and our aggressive pricing is the reason Aquanauts has become the choice of so many people over the years, including three interns who are now PADI Course Directors, as well as numerous Master Instructors, some of whom are now working in Koh Tao.

We also are unique in the market in that we offer two internship packages: our all-inclusive, full-featured Aquanauts COMPLETE and budget-minded Aquanauts VALUE package that, compared apples to apples, costs less than instructor packages in Koh Tao or Utila, Honduras.

As for training in Pattaya, we are the first to admit the seas here are not as popular for holiday divers as elsewhere in Thailand. But our lower visibility and stronger currents are actually huge positives when training to be a professional. Diving with us for a few months you'll get wildly variable conditions. Serious interns turn that to their advantage, making every dive a "productive" dive, rather than an empty "fun" dive. They work on skills on particular parts of their training, which explains why so many people who leave here are experts on navigation, do some of the best rescues you'll ever see and can literally walk into jobs throughout Thailand by simply mentioning their did their IDCs at Aquanauts in Pattaya. PM me and I can provide references and examples of just those cases.

One commenter below seemed to think the that fact fewer people train in Pattaya internship programs is a negative. For starters, that's not really true: Mermaids CDC has at 2 or 3 times in the past few years had in excess of 100 interns at any one time.

WE, however, limit our enrollment intentionally. Aquanauts' entire regimen is built on the concept of "Personalized Training," with all interns getting assigned a personal instructor who oversees their training. All courses offer individual instruction with the largest class size maxing out at 4 people.

Compare this to Koh Tao. One of our excellent grads and former instructors now is an MI at one of Koh Tao's biggest centers. Last week she told me she currently has 80 Divemaster Trainees doing their course with her.

Do you want a class of 80 or a class of 1?

I encourage you to visit our website at the link below and use our worldwide free telephone numbers to talk to me in person with any questions.

Bob James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom