Intova Mini wide angle or Intova Ultra Torch ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nomro

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi Bubble makers :) ,

Could anyone advise his feedback for both Torches , hands on experience would be very much appreciated.

Both are identical in many aspects like 220 Lumens , Color temp: 6000~7000K . etc.......

Their main differences are : beam angle (53 degrees for Mini , 14 degrees for Ultra), Mini is much lighter and smaller in size, Ultra uses 6 AA batteries (easier to find) , where Mini uses two CR 123 batteries.

I would go with the Mini for the wider angle and size , but I have concerns about light intensity of the wide angle I don't know if it is still bright and its range in terms of distance, also I'm concerned about the ease of finding its batteries.

Best Regards
Nomro

I prefer the ultra (I carry one of each on my rig, both as backups), but both are excellent torches.

I own two of the wide-angle Intova mini's. Nicely built light, but essentially useless in our local turbid water. I imagine they'd be much more appropriate in more clear, tropical waters. I mostly use them as camping lights, where the wider angle beam comes in handy ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I prefer the ultra (I carry one of each on my rig, both as backups), but both are excellent torches.

Rohne Man , Could you please advise why you prefer the Ultra , and do you feel that the beam is too narrow in a night dive ?

how and where do you plan to use the light? Wide beam is only useful for night dive in crystal clear water. For anything else, a narrow more intense beam of the Ultra will do much better. Keep in mind, one main purpose of having a light is signalling, whether you need help or just to tell them your presense. Narrow beam is much better in this regard.

how and where do you plan to use the light? Wide beam is only useful for night dive in crystal clear water. For anything else, a narrow more intense beam of the Ultra will do much better. Keep in mind, one main purpose of having a light is signalling, whether you need help or just to tell them your presense. Narrow beam is much better in this regard.

I would use it in night dives and wrecks.

I would use it in night dives and wrecks.

The Intova Mini only has a burn time of 3hours at full power and the batteries it uses are pricey.
Intova Ultra Torch has a burn of 7hours and uses a more commonly found battery AA, however holding that many batteries in a Save-A-Dive kit is a pain in the rear. And the whole unit gets really heavy by comparison to say the Intova Compact (3 AAA). Whether on your wrist or clipped off to your BC, you're not going to like walking around with that after shore dive. I know from experience in carrying the Princeton Torrent, which used 6 AA batteries as well. And it's casing is made of plastic!

My next Intova buy is going to be the Tactical Torch. It has a 43 degree beam, uses 2 CR123 batteries and burns for 10hrs.
It's shorter and lighter than the Ultra Torch too.

I've never dove with any of the 3 but I have taken them for a dry run in my LDS.
Of the two options you listed, I'd go for the Ultra Torch. But if your looking for a wide angle torch, my #1 choice would be the Intova Tactical Torch.

I use the Intova compact and its a great light. 3AAA batteries, small enough, and has a fairly narrow beam which works well for me.

I have used it on one night dive where it out performed much larger lights (3D cell size). I don't have any experience with the wide beam lights but the narrow beam of the compact throws out heaps of light.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom