Intova Mini wide angle or Intova Ultra Torch ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guys ,

How about the Scubapro NOVA 230 in comparison to the Intova Ulltra and Mini , it seems to have a bit more power and more burn time 14- 18 hours but the beam angle is around 10 degrees (a bit narrow ?) and almost same price range. What do you think ? anyone owns one can help to review it?

Guys ,

How about the Scubapro NOVA 230 in comparison to the Intova Ulltra and Mini , it seems to have a bit more power and more burn time 14- 18 hours but the beam angle is around 10 degrees (a bit narrow ?) and almost same price range. What do you think ? anyone owns one can help to review it?

Never tried it. I can only compare it to the Intova Compact torch, which has a beam angle of 12 degrees. A narrow beam in my books.
It's enough to get by during the day when you need to light up nooks and crannys. At night it's once again enough, but only when you're focused on something. If you're scanning an area at night it gets kinda tedious to continuously move your light and follow the pinpoint to spot things. I only use the narrow beam at night if I have to, and I only enjoy it if I'm scanning (at the most) a 10ft radius around me. Any bigger and it gets really annoying and tedious.
For this reason I go for a wider beam so I can light up a big area and scan more with my eyes alone rather than pointing and looking.

In general I choose wide beams for night diving because I want to scan large areas to spot anything interesting.
I use narrow beams for daytime nooks and crannies and as a backup light during night dives.
I may be a little buyist because my Intova Compact is lighter, smaller, and brighter than my current wide beam (Princeton Torrent Xenon bulb).

I've noticed in general that wide angle beams have less penetration distance for it's light than narrow beams, however the wide expanse of light you get makes up for it during night dives.

I find wide beam much more useful when doing night photography. With narrow beam, trying to point my light at the subject so I know that I am pointing my camera at the subject is very tedious. When the light from my flashlight is not in the viewfinder's image, I constantly have to move my light back and forth to try to get it back into view of my viewfinder so I can try to re-point my camera at the subject again. With a wide view, the whole subject area will be lighted and I can focus on composing the shot.

Just put on a strobe with focus light, not sure how it will work, but its LED beam is pretty narrow too.

I decided to go with the Ultra , thanks all for your advise , I will provide a review once I get to try it .

Best Regards
Nomro

Both are good! I use a mini as a back up to a can light....great little lights though! You can't go wrong with either!

Back
Top Bottom