Intova SP-1 and white ballance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amnesia

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi All;

I'm new to underwater photography (but not diving)
Picked up an Intova Sport HD and a red filter for a trip to Jamaica. I understand the lack of colors due to light absorption and all that.

What I'm wondering is, which is better at 15-75 feet:
-Manual white ballance
-Red Filter
-Manual white ballance with red filter already on (and left on)

Thanks for the help

I leave the WB setting on my SP1 set to Auto and I always have the red filter on when below the surface. It's smart enough to make the required setting change.

I use the WB in Auto.
I bought the red filter and I used it the first time in Easter Island. And still learning. The red filter is not for all the uses.

If you are shooting at a close target (fish, rock, etc.) it is able to use the red filter to enhance the color (yellows, reds, greens), but if you are shooting to another diver, with deep sea as background, you should take the red filter off, because the water will look with a red-purple tone.

Another issue you have to consider is the position of the source light (sun light). It is different if it comes from the front or from your back.

Wow! So much to think about.

I tried some video in my backyard just to get used to the camera (1080 p, 30 fps) and noticed that the results were quite "choppy". I'm hoping that this was because of the computer that I was playing it back on and not the camera. When played on the camera it looked smooth. Not sure what was going on.

Also I tried manual WB. Could barely do it on dry land. Doubtful that I could do it underwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom