Intova Sport HD is one heck of "bang for the buck" product

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Better? I don't know. I've never used a Go Pro of any kind. However, I believe I paid $160 for the Intova Sport HD, $10 for a 8GB storage chip, about $20 for the red filter and maybe $15 for the extension wand (IIRC) So, for roughly $200 +/- I have a terrific video system that was originally designed for underwater videos, not adapted for. To me, it's an excellent value.

If you're going to be marketing the Intova, I suggest you have a couple of side by side videos, one Intova, one Go Pro, and let the client decide which they like. Then, give them the retail price list for each unit, including all the pieces and parts. Note that the Go Pro does not come with an underwater housing, or at least did not originally. Be sure you all up all the costs of what is required for each. You will be successful.

BTW, I've had to request customer support from Intova and they were outstanding! The firmware in my original camera wasn't working right, so they sent me a new Intova Sport HD. :thumb:

I have used the older GP 2 Hero and an Intova SP. Out of the box there was no comparision...SP all the way. Now it would not be fair of me to not check out the GP 3. I have seen some great work from them but here we are at edition #3 and still with some problem areas...but people keep buying up (much like smart phones). To see a very detailed review I found this handy. Scuba Diver Info - GoPro Hero3 But you are still at more than twice the price for the GP as you are the SP and you still don't get the LCD which is standard fo the Intova SP. Also, FWIW I have seen several threads of complications with the GP with very little company service. I can truly tell you that I have had only one problem with my SP (and I am putting it through the worst of conditions...deep, caves, low vis, cold, heat etc.). I contacted Kevin. He sent me via e-mail a shipping lable. I sent it to him and received a new camera! Very damn fast return time I might add.
This video was shot at Peacock Springs in Fl in the caves with very low vis. Not some of my best work but.... Peacock Springs - YouTube This was shot with the Intova SP out of the box with my tray and one 21w HID with video reflector and a diffused 10w HID. I hope this helps.

---------- Post added January 2nd, 2014 at 02:45 PM ----------

I am sure that Intova's customer support will be miles above GoPro's. I know this first hand.

Joe,

Can you please give a table of comparison between the HD II and the latest version of GoPro (the highest package they have)?

I am not too sure why you are looking at the HD II whereas the latest is the Spot Pro HD but simply out of the box...GoPro 3 black 399.99 and SP HD is 149.99-169.99 in USD. The HD II is only about $20.00 cheapter and I am still looking over the spects for the big difference.

Does anyone have some sample footage from the Sport HD II camera? I'm curious about how well their new electronic red filter works.

I am not too sure why you are looking at the HD II whereas the latest is the Spot Pro HD but simply out of the box...GoPro 3 black 399.99 and SP HD is 149.99-169.99 in USD. The HD II is only about $20.00 cheapter and I am still looking over the spects for the big difference.
I am not following you, isn't the Sport HD II the latest version? http://www.intova.net/products/sport-hd-ii/

For what it's worth, I found out the two videos I have hosted on photobucket and the security set to "Private" Sorry. Also, I noticed that photobucket doesn't do a very good job of hosting videos or my internet speed is too slow at the moments. The videos appear very 'jumpy' but I assure you it is not caused by the Intova Sport. The videos views locally are extremely smooth and clear, so I apologize for any dissatisfaction with them. They're only intended to be examples, anyway. The longer one is to show you how the Intova adjusts to reduced light at 79 feet and still give a good video. The other is short but demonstrates the difference between the use of a red filter and then the removal of the filter. Pretty dramatic.

I carry three GoPros...because you need that many to part them out over a week's diving. We're not going to carry them any more; I'll let Best Buy deal with them.

Thanks for all the input on the Intova, though. Looks like an excellent alternative.

'can't beat the price! GoPro Hero 3 +, $300-$400, and if you want the hand strap option(with 60 m/200 ' Enclosure) another $50. I love my HD II.

---------- Post added March 21st, 2014 at 08:26 PM ----------

The HD II is the latest with the electronic red filter and addition of,I think, two modes.

---------- Post added March 21st, 2014 at 08:29 PM ----------

Intova Sport HD II at LeisurePro $ 149.00.- Mike

Due to some hosting issues for the videos I original posted in this thread, I have requested their reference links be removed. Sorry for the inconvenience.

If you goolge "intova sport youtube" you'll get lots of video samples to view. I still highly recommend the Intova Sport HD.

It is so hard to post videos and / or pictures due to low vis on my new Intova SP HD II. But I took these the other day. They are stills taken from the video. Items used: Intova HD II with a single Sola 1200. ( I left my 21 watt HID at home and has to borrow this light). Vis was bad. Lake Jocassee / Trimix / wall to 156' and second dive 140' to graveyard. Settings:
Quality: Super fine
Resolution: 1080P30
Image effect: Vivid
Scene mode: Auto
Flicker: 60Hz
Contrast: Standard
Sharpness: Standard
ISO: Auto
White Balance: Auto
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqelnD5HEJw&list=HL1400479145&feature=mh_lolz

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back