Intro Tech

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Like everyone needs a canister light and two backups for open water scuba?

Wait I thought this was about Tech diving not open water?

Open water scuba and the type of tech diving you're talking about are two very different things. You wouldn't want a back up light or two at 180 fsw?

A canister light is more useful with tech diving. Other then being great for light signals and keeping your hands free for emergencies they serve as a good place to route your long hose (which most agencies require).

Keep in mind that most of the training out there either leads to caves or wrecks. Thus, they have designed the courses to get you use to all the gear needed during the early stages of training so you can concentrate on learning the skills.

Also, keep in mind that as soon as you get into any diving with deco you're no longer diving in open water.

Like everyone needs a canister light and two backups for open water scuba?

You started this thread asking about intro to tech right, not an OW class?

I couldn't figure out what the big deal was with the can lights until I finally broke down and bought one, a used one and for much cheaper and in amazing condition. It's really great when you dive with someone who also has a can light and you're both communicating with them. You can signal direction, okay, not okay, emergency, look at this and I'm sure a few others without having to turn your head and find your buddy. You also know exactly where each other is because you've always got your light pointed in front of you so again no turning around or doing back flips in order to find or communicate with your buddy. So yeah it helps a ton when doing open water recreational dives, a ton. BTW my light is plenty bright for signaling on white sand in the daytime on a sunny day, and almost too bright for night time if that's even possible.

BTW you wouldn't put a pinto up against a ferrari on a race track would you? It wouldn't be the right equipment to do the job. When it comes to a life support system why would anyone skimp?

Billy

Except for a few places with bright sunlight and very clear water, it's pretty dark at technical depths. Heck, in Puget Sound, it's often pretty dark at non-technical depths.

The list of required equipment is very detailed, and it's ideal, but some items are somewhat negotiable, or may not be absolutely required by a given instructor. Such things as a backplate and wing and non-split fins are required. The color of mask skirt is not something that will get you thrown out of a class.

The best thing, if you have equipment that doesn't match the list, is to contact your instructor and ask him if that particular piece of equipment (or lack thereof) is going to be a major problem in your class.

The best thing, if you have equipment that doesn't match the list, is to contact your instructor and ask him if that particular piece of equipment (or lack thereof) is going to be a major problem in your class.

...and thats exactly what I plan to do. I have most of the gear including BP/W. I have both an AL and Steel OMS Back Plate and plan to rig the Al Back Plate with continuous webbing. The big questions which I will follow up with an instructor are around the wings and bungees. I would like to understand why no bungees. Based on the equipment list above, by removing the bungees still leaves the holes in the wings where the bungees used to be. I will need to verify if this is still an issue and if generally speaking if OMS wings are not acceptable?

I'm using eLed UK lights today while night diving. Any recommendations on Canisters? eLed's?? I found the attached but have no idea of what the best brand is.
http://www.scuba.com/scuba-gear-31/026683/Dive-Rite-L.E.D.-500-Canister-Light.html

Any recommendations on Bottom timers? I found an attached OMS bottom timer but again I not sure what the best brand is.
http://www.ndc-online.net/oms/bottomtimer/wbt.htm

Thanks!
Dwayne

You started this thread asking about intro to tech right, not an OW class? I couldn't figure out what the big deal was with the can lights until I finally broke down and bought one, a used one and for much cheaper and in amazing condition.
Billy

Thanks Billy.

Regards Dwayne

I think the idea behind the no bungees rule is that the bungees will squeeze the bladder which can create pockets that trap air. Karim @ Hollywood Divers removed the bungee from my Dive Rite Req Wing and said it's fine, grommets and all.

I use a wrist computer as my bottom timer. Manta Diving Computer Watch A lot of people buy the scubapro one but for a little bit more you can get a full comp. I'm sure what you've got is fine as long as it tells you depth and time.

You'll probably receive lots of responses for which light to choose, my thought is the brighter the better. I would stay away from anything 10w. Everyone that I know that has a 10w either keeps it on the shelf or is selling it. For daytime in so-cal it's just not bright enough. I would also check out the equipment forums on SB and The Deco Stop

Best of luck!

Billy

Billy is right about the reasoning on bungied wings. They are felt to reduce streamlining, contribute to gas trapping, and at the same time, make it more difficult for a damaged wing to hold gas and retain some buoyancy. On the other hand, a well-designed and properly sized wing vents very easily, so the bungies are not really solving a problem. Once the bungies are removed, an OMS wing functions as any other wing does, and then its appropriateness is a matter of correct size/lift for the application.

There are several firms that build good canister lights. Halcyon, Salvo, Green Force, and Sartek are four that come off the top of my head. Most of the divers I know use either Halcyon or Salvo HIDs. LED lights are more durable and have longer burn times, but don't yet have the intensity or focus of a 21W or 35W HID. 10W HIDs are pretty readily available on the used market, if budget is a big issue, and make good backup HIDs once you upgrade to what you really want :)

Many of the people I know (myself included) were diving computers before we went to using a bottom timer, and are using the computer we had in gauge mode, rather than buying something new. If your computer will not function in gauge mode, the OMS bottom timer is a fairly inexpensive option -- but I believe that the batteries are not replaceable, so you get a certain life (I believe I've heard it's about ten years, depending on your rate of diving) and then the device is a hockey puck.

Billy is right about the reasoning on bungied wings. They are felt to reduce streamlining, contribute to gas trapping, and at the same time, make it more difficult for a damaged wing to hold gas and retain some buoyancy.

Thanks again. I'm following your light recommendations and just removed the bungees off my 45lbs single wing.

i notice you're in Redondo. my team often dives Vets park so feel free to PM if you wanna meet up and look over our gear and talk about our experience with andy huber.

I would also check out the equipment forums on SB and The Deco Stop

I would second this....I just picked up a brand new 21W Salvo on TDS for an unreal price ($900 for a $1400 light). Keep your eye out and sooner or later you'll come across a good deal.

I believe Ken is selling a 21W Halvo (part Halcyon, part Salvo) right now...

Edit: here's the link for the light.

Back
Top Bottom