Intro to Cave Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where did you take the cave training?

in_cavediver:
Not bad advice but there is still a lot to be learned and the intro step isn't bad one, if you can stick to your limits. Actually, thats an important dive skill period.

When I did my cave training, I did the cavern and intro then waited 3-4 months before finishing the full cave. That gave me time to prepare and polish the skills I learned in the intro class. (I also had to get doubles and the rest of my equipment up to spec). It worked really well for me and my cave class was a joy to go through.

Mike

Going from standard BC to Wings or other method can create a significant difference in buoyancy and affects the way you dive. Since some instructors are watching your profile to determine your position , horizontal or slightly head down (reduces silting). You will need to demonstrate your proficency. Since you going to pursue cave certification I would reccommend biting the bullet and purchase the equipment you will want to use while actually diving. Discuss the decision of what equipment to actually buy with your instructor.
I switched at onset and was surprised at the difference the BC made in my diving profile. When you get heavily task oriented (reel, lights, scouting) the last thing you need is to have to fiddle with is your BC to get correctly oriented. It helped me to be able to get instruction to help with transitioning.

Great advice Willy,
But Andy already dives a BP/W dooubles and i got his Intro cert. Its just that the original post is over a year old.

yup... this thread got started when i was figuring out what to do

as WD says, i went ahead and got a BP/W setup, doubles, drysuit
(dang.. i'm going to cry thinking of all that money), and etc.

now i am consolidating my skills to move on to Apprentice Cave (Cave 2)
sometime early next year

Yo there

-Single tank for Intro to limit the penetration of not so experienced cave divers
-Y or H valve for redundant air supply but how to deal with burst disk or neck o-ring other then sharing air
-Manifolded doubles with an isolator are the better way to deal with air emergencies
-A back plate, soft plate or regular bcd can be used for the intro. Advantage of plates and soft pack if you go on to full or tec you don't have to throw away your stuff. Disadvantage on bcd, its more difficult to get a good horizontal position and good trim
-When doing the intro on doubles, and NACD, NSS-CDS and IANTD allow to do that you plan 1/6 of double, which translates into 1/3 of single
-The gate keepers of most caves do not allow intro people to dive doubles in their caves, its part of the training agency part Florida state parks not wanting people to far in so they can practice cave diving not to far from the exit, but it is as well a cave conservation point of having less experienced diver further in the caves
-The discretionary apprentice is a NSS-CDS only cert that gives the intro diver in doubles access to double tank cave diving and experience building
-The apprentice is a seperate trainig level, NSS-CDS only
-Not to forget thet intro diving is no deco ( exept IANTD if trained Avanced Eanx ) and linear penetration only.

Matt
www.protecdiving.com

mattmexico:
-The discretionary apprentice is a NSS-CDS only cert that gives the intro diver in doubles access to double tank cave diving and experience building

Hmmm, I have an NACD provisional pass that allows me to dive doubles at the Intro level.

mattmexico:
Yo there

-When doing the intro on doubles, and NACD, NSS-CDS and IANTD allow to do that you plan 1/6 of double, which translates into 1/3 of single
-The gate keepers of most caves do not allow intro people to dive doubles in their caves, its part of the training agency part Florida state parks not wanting people to far in so they can practice cave diving not to far from the exit, but it is as well a cave conservation point of having less experienced diver further in the caves

Matt
www.protecdiving.com

Being a new intro diver, this thread caught my eye.

Do the "gatekeepers", rangers, or who ever is in charge at the FL state parks check or question intro divers to see if they're diving singles or doubles. When I was there, everything seemed pretty laid back to me; most the time no one was even around. We dived doubles for my intro class and no one ever said a word (of course, I was with an instructor). Will they run you off if you show up with doubles???

I've yet to meet the scuba police that say you can't dive doubles. But on the other hand, I can look at a diver, in a set of doubles, and know what kind (if any)of training they have. Just like if you see a diver in doubles and wearing split fins.Ya just know that diver isn't full cave. :no:

steve2281:
Do the "gatekeepers", rangers, or who ever is in charge at the FL state parks check or question intro divers to see if they're diving singles or doubles.

nope... all they want to see is a c-card (cavern and above) which shows you
can carry lights. other than that, most of them don't really understand the
distinctions between cavern, intro., apprentice, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom