Introducing the Dive Industry to the Unlimited Abilities Foundation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveNewsWire

Contributor
Reaction score
Unlimited Abilities Foundation is continuing to push forward for another successful year. Unlimited Abilities is a 501(c)3 Foundation located in South Florida with its primary mission of helping the disabled population achieve their full potential with their goals and in general life. The Foundations focus is to work on assisting the South Florida disabled population to help bring new hope into the lives of men, women and children living with a neurological disease, disorder or injury.
Approximately five and a half years ago, President Kevin Mullin and volunteers designed a scuba diving program to introduce interested disabled individuals into the world of scuba diving. Being a wheelchair user and a diver himself, he thought it would be unique to show others the beautiful underwater world that he has been very passionate about for years.  In a recent phone interview with Kevin Mullin, he was quoted saying "I have been a fellow scuba diver for over twenty years, and have been in a wheelchair for close to 8 years. After my spinal injury, I thought my diving days were completely behind me. Once I found out that it was still possible, I made friends with educated people in the dive industry with experience in disability diving and started my retraining to once again dive and explore in a weightless environment free of my wheelchair". Kevin's retraining was extremely successful and he is now an advanced disability diver with over a hundred dives since his accident.  Kevin also stated, "once you learn that you might spend the rest of your life in a wheelchair, your mental aspect takes a negative turn and you realize all the experiences you might miss out on in life". He explains that because of his strong and supportive family and friends, he was able to try to re-explore his passion in scuba diving. After Kevin's first dive down after his accident, he had a complete mental paradigm shift and started to rethink about life in terms of possibilities. "My life changed that day... I learned that disabled diving is achievable and I knew that I needed to share this with others".
After putting the disabled dive program together, Kevin and his team have certified dozens of disability divers every summer and looks to continue opening the world of scuba diving to a population of people that might not know it is possible. In the past five years, Unlimited abilities is proud to announce that they have been awarded grants from national Organizations and have received donations from the South Florida community. This has helped tremendously with the cost of educational materials, rental dive equipment and covering the price of boat dives.
One area that Unlimited Abilities is weak in is supportive equipment to assist with the dive training. That is why Unlimited Abilities has set up an equipment fund so that they may raise enough finances to purchase the key equipment to continue making disabled dive training a success. To learn more about this equipment fund and how you can help out, please visit: http://igg.me/at/uaf-equipment-fund
Kevin ended the interview by saying, "Many people might not be able to donate right now and I understand that. All I ask is that you help share this program to as many people as possible. We need to keep this program going and let others enjoy the world of scuba diving as much as I and other divers do."
For more information, please go to: www.unlimitedabilities.org

EsBxBchT4aA

More...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom