Near drowning - Lake Union, Washington

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bruce is not a peace officer in Edmonds or anywhere else and he sure as heck isn't the City Attorney. So he's neither writing the rules (which far predate the park being named for him), writing tickets, nor is he responding to any contested tickets in court. This has been debated ad nauseum on NW Diver forums a decade ago and there STILL has never been anyone claiming they were cited for using a scooter there. Pretty sure if you don't flaunt it or act like an ass you're fine
Whatever you say man. I honestly don't care what you or anyone else does.
1698211268653.png

Wow, sorry to poke the sea snake with a stick! Didn't realize this was such a touchy topic.

I honestly don't know what anyone's problem would be with a scooter.

g2:
The purists don't like to hear the whirring of motors... they also likely can't afford one so they don't want you to use one either.

g2:
Wow, sorry to poke the sea snake with a stick! Didn't realize this was such a touchy topic.

I've heard the claim that it will disturb the sea life which I think is completely BS. I see no logical reason why an electric scooter wouldn't be allowed. Obviously there's no gas powered scooters that I could see an objection to LOL

I've heard the claim that it will disturb the sea life which I think is completely BS. I see no logical reason why an electric scooter wouldn't be allowed. Obviously there's no gas powered scooters that I could see an objection too LOL
A new meaning to "follow the bubbles" lol

Watercraft as defined by Edmonds Code:
B. “Watercraft” means any contrivance used or capable of being used as a means of transportation on water specifically including but not limited to any boat, yacht, or houseboat, whether powered by engine, sail, motor or occupant or occupants. [Ord. 2531, 1985; Ord. 1579 § 1, 1971; Ord. 1294 § 1, 1967].

Therefore, unless you are using the scooter on top of the water, it is not, by definition, a watercraft. This is why they don't likely write tickets for it at Edmonds.

Watercraft as defined by Edmonds Code:
B. “Watercraft” means any contrivance used or capable of being used as a means of transportation on water specifically including but not limited to any boat, yacht, or houseboat, whether powered by engine, sail, motor or occupant or occupants. [Ord. 2531, 1985; Ord. 1579 § 1, 1971; Ord. 1294 § 1, 1967].

Therefore, unless you are using the scooter on top of the water, it is not, by definition, a watercraft. This is why they don't likely write tickets for it at Edmonds.
All this bickering is interesting,,,,first time on this section of the forum,,,,,,,but what really blows me away is the "Tech" gear used in water that might push 45 ft in depth....hey, can't have too much gear to stay safe...also wondered how polluted the area is? :cool:

All this bickering is interesting,,,,first time on this section of the forum,,,,,,,but what really blows me away is the "Tech" gear used in water that might push 45 ft in depth....hey, can't have too much gear to stay safe...also wondered how polluted the area is? :cool:
Scootering the entire park on a single 130 (or CCR) is rather enjoyable, some of us hate swimming and/or are genuinely lazy... Edmonds PD has apparently never cited anyone, go figure, they have better things to worry about.

The water in the vicinity of Edmonds is not particularly polluted.

Bruce is not a peace officer in Edmonds or anywhere else and he sure as heck isn't the City Attorney. So he's neither writing the rules (which far predate the park being named for him), writing tickets, nor is he responding to any contested tickets in court. This has been debated ad nauseum on NW Diver forums a decade ago and there STILL has never been anyone claiming they were cited for using a scooter there. Pretty sure if you don't flaunt it or act like an ass you're fine
For those who don’t know, the “Bruce” in this case is Bruce Higgins, who single-handedly created the Edmonds Underwater Park, and has been improving it each weekend since the 1970s. I think that Bruce did write the rules, including the rule about underwater scooters. Visibility is sometimes limited at Edmonds Underwater Park, and I think he was thinking that a scooter could be a hazard to the many other divers who dive there, and are following the maps he has written. There are also marine life considerations, and I would vote to not allow dive scooters too. I haven’t dived there in over a decade, but if you want to help Bruce out with the park, show up on Saturday morning and ask to be a volunteer diver. I’m pretty sure Bruce is still there every Saturday morning, diving, placing new wrecks or objects, correcting any deficiencies, and generally keeping the park in great shape.

SeaRat

I haven’t dived there in over a decade, but if you want to help Bruce out with the park, show up on Saturday morning and ask to be a volunteer diver. I’m pretty sure Bruce is still there every Saturday morning, diving, placing new wrecks or objects, correcting any deficiencies, and generally keeping the park in great shape.

SeaRat
Since he retired, I think he's pretty much there every day. I need to go back and help him. His continued contributions are absolutely amazing

Back
Top Bottom