Near drowning - Lake Union, Washington

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For those who don’t know, the “Bruce” in this case is Bruce Higgins, who single-handedly created the Edmonds Underwater Park, and has been improving it each weekend since the 1970s. I think that Bruce did write the rules, including the rule about underwater scooters.

The code was originally written in 1967 and long pre-dates the existence of what we know today as a scooter. And if he did somehow write this section 57 years ago when he was under 20 years old, and intended to prohibit scooters, he did a terrible job because it says "submersible vehicles". And there's no clear scope or definition in code of what that is. My suspicion is people were making homemade submarines out of propane tanks and such in the 1960s and they didn't want anything like a boat in that area, because they clearly prohibit boats.

In any case, all Mr Higgins can do is wag his finger at you. The police have never in known history written a citation under this section of code, although they have written a citation for solo diving at least once (mostly cause that diver continued his dive after losing his buddy and the buddy called the fire department and it was a big drama scene). I don't know if that person paid a fine or contested that citation or not. But he was using a scooter and wasn't cited for that supposed 'violation'. Go figure.

The take home message is if you want to break the rules at Edmonds UW Park, whether that's by using a scooter or solo diving etc it's not generally enforced unless you flaunt it.

Back
Top Bottom