Introducing the new AIRBUDDY!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You need about 50 to get to 12 m. Unless google's bar to psi converter is lying.

You need about 50 to get to 12 m. Unless google's bar to psi converter is lying.
12 meters is 17psi plus enough to pull air through the reg.

Kind of like an electric car. Most don't drive those, at least not yet. What happens if you use this AirBuddy and go too deep?

I'd assume you spring backwards like a cartoon dog who's reached the end of his leash. There's definitely a lot of concerns anf questions. I'm also wondering what would happen if the float is compromised. Or if there's any indication of battery life while diving.

They have a regulator at the end of that hose. I'm sure they are operating at 140 psi, which is well within that hose's limits.

This whole thing screams BS to me. 6 patents? really? I looked into patents recently and the average US patent runs in the $10, 000 range and is only good in the US. Aus patents might be cheaper but odds are they are not....$60K+ in patents already and you only need another $120K to pay for molds, tooling, prototype runs and the first production run? And lets be realistic, exactly what could these patents be...it's a simple 12V air compressor with an inner tube float and some simple control circuitry, no rocket science here.. my BS meter is pegged high.
Besides all the possible AGE issues, it uses the float tube as a gas reserve and as a pulse buffer. It will get water in it from condensation, no telling what nasty things will be growing in it after a few uses with the resultant lung infections unless the user does a lot of cleaning and sanitizing after each use.

This is hardly innovative or new...the motor-driven hookah setups have been around since Jaques. You can see them on S Fla beaches frequently, especially during lobster season. I used to use a similar setup, with a tank on a kayak and a brownie hose & reg in the water. It has the (major) disadvantage of no SPG at the reg, part of the reason I became a "real" diver. The real difference with this is the li-ion battery. What good sport it will be to wait for them to catch fire while lounging on the beach!

How is this different (aside from component quality) from any other hookah system? Compressor on the surface, hose to the regulator on the diver. Looks like another "me too" crappy hookah to me, with lower quality parts.

It must be a slow news day.

The real difference with this is the li-ion battery. What good sport it will be to wait for them to catch fire while lounging on the beach!
I don't think I'd worry about that too much. Chinese dive lights generally use 18650 li-ion batts and they aren't exploding in droves despite the sub $10 price tag. I'm not saying they're good quality but good enough not to explode.

I don't think I'd worry about that too much. Chinese dive lights generally use 18650 li-ion batts and they aren't exploding in droves despite the sub $10 price tag. I'm not saying they're good quality but good enough not to explode.

It happens. My career involves developing boring non-diving electronics that sometimes require these batteries. If the draining-charging cycle isn't just right they let you know in sometimes spectacular fashion. Just heat and fire usually though, no Micheal Bay worthy explosions.

Back
Top Bottom