iPhone for Photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi Folks! I'm new to the site. I look forward to exploring all of the links. I actually thought I should join a cool site because I was thinking today about taking pics and don't have a camera. I'm an iPhone guy and prefer not to get a GoPro even though I hear they're great. I was wondering people's thoughts on whether the iPhone 6 or 7 with a good case is capable of good pics at 60 or 70 feet. Any thoughts are most appreciated. Thanks!

I stand corrected I didn't know they have these cases lol

But I've taken mine down to about 10-15' with the life proof case and it's been fine and has taken some nice photos.

IMG_0015.JPG

This one is better with the live picture feature.

IMG_0087.JPG

I love this picture

IMG_0055.JPG
this is at about 12'

Last edited:
Hi Folks! I'm new to the site. I look forward to exploring all of the links. I actually thought I should join a cool site because I was thinking today about taking pics and don't have a camera. I'm an iPhone guy and prefer not to get a GoPro even though I hear they're great. I was wondering people's thoughts on whether the iPhone 6 or 7 with a good case is capable of good pics at 60 or 70 feet. Any thoughts are most appreciated. Thanks!
I think the issue at 60 feet will be color and light. Water absorbs sunlight and color as you go deeper. That is why we pay big money for strobes and/or video lights.

The problem with iPhone is that it lacks a good lens. While that's made up for by the great software that iOS has and is great for daily life on land, I don't see that translating well to the underwater world.

Sorry, but those example iPhone photos don't look clear to me. Compare that to the clarity and detail from these that I took. (From a Sony NEX with a red filter, at 30-40 feet, natural light- no strobes at all)

blue.jpg

threeB.jpg

school.jpg

Sorry, but those example iPhone photos don't look clear to me. Compare that to the clarity and detail from these that I took. (From a Sony NEX with a red filter, at 30-40 feet, natural light- no strobes at all)

View attachment 419888
View attachment 419890
View attachment 419889

Oh they are nowhere as clear as a camera meant for diving but me for it will satisfy me for awhile. Oddly enough I'm only 25 and I'm not like most others my age where I need to photograph everything in my life I rather just enjoy the experience in the moment.

Gorgeous pictures btw!

No way the iPhone will compare to even a compact camera. But, if you just want to record some pictures and take some decent video, check this out. My buddy and I just bought one of these and are looking forward to trying it out. The housing is super robust, you can put a light tray on it, and is probably the most economical way to get some U/W pics and videos.

Kraken Sports

My kid bought the Nauticam NA-IP6 for her iPhone 6 because although she has a go-pro, she doesn't yet care about crystal clear photos so much as taking a few photos of critters to send to her buddies. So much easier to Internet photos that are already on the phone.

And the real issue is...what are you going to do when you flood your iPhone? My phone is very important in my daily business and personal life.

Even though the technology exists today to bundle them all together, I have (multiple of each) separate camera and dive computers. If any one of them dies, then nothing else in my life is affected.

Now if you have an old obsolete unused iPhone...then you should sell it and buy a used obsolete camera that will take better pictures.

Back
Top Bottom