Ipod on The Boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I live in the tropics, and I take mine :D And we use are small outrigger boats.
There are waterproof cases and bags that you can put your iPod in to reduce the risk of it getting damaged.
Otherwise, sans iPod, I just enjoy the fact that I'm out of the office, on the water, and subsequently in it :D

Last edited:
Hey sassy

It will depend if your planning on taking it regular basis, i.e every day, if you are then yes at some point it is going to get wet (unless you are very carefull). What I have on our dive boat is a perspex case with built in marine speakers, it's well cool. It is made by a company called ez'ech.. one of my instructors brought it back from the uk (got it on ebay). It does take batteries for the speakers but is basically a housing for your Ipod. Unfortunately you cannot put headphones in it. If you are looking for something personal then maybee a small peli case with a small notch filed out for the headphones. In general, tropics and dive boats don't mix well with unprotected electronics.

Good luck

Has anyone taken their Ipod on the boat in the tropics? Just wondering if I will ruin mine from condensation.

I live in S.E. Georgia and there isn't a more humid place on the planet. I have ipod and boat and have no trouble with the condensation or humidity (we often run 40 miles offshore at fairly high speed). I don't leave ipod on the boat after use so it is only exposed during the day's use.

I always take my music with me, great for the boat ride and SI.
Have never had a problem. Remember to take charger and portable speaker system.

I second the pelican case comment and they actually make some now that are specifically for an IPOD that have a headphone jack built into the case. I use mine every time I am out on the boat and used the same pelican case during my last 18 months in Iraq and the Ipod looks and functions just like the day I bought it. I even use one of the larger cases with a bluetooth transmitter to my motorola rokr heaphones and I don't have to open the case to change songs or volume ... just food for thought.

I take computers, iPod, PDA, other small electronics to the tropics and on liveaboards all the time with no problem but I wouldn't take them on a dayboat. Just don't see a pressing need to have them and go to the trouble of keeping them out of trouble.

I've heard the lifespan of computers in particular is shorter in damp salt-air climates if they're there all the time, but I wouldn't worry about a visit.

Thanks for the comments. Probably won't use it on the dive boat this trip as the dive sites are near shore, but the water taxi ride to the Caye I'll be using it. got the portable speakers and the charger. Love my pod! Ambergris Caye here we come!

I take my 2nd gen nano everywhere. Using it in the high humidity of the tropics doesn't worry me at all.

Specifically for the boat, I bought a little pelican-type box that has a waterproof 1/8" plug installed so the iPod stays dry and plugged in and the earbuds plug into an 1/8" jack in the case. I set it to a reasonably long playlist and (with repeat turned off) it goes to sleep at the end of it so I don't have to crack the case while the boat is underway, even on a skiff.

One of the guys on our CCV boat last November brought at little battery powered speaker for his classic iPod that he used to play Bob Marley, etc. during the SIs. He didn't worry about waterproof cases for the iPod or powered speakers, he just left it up at the front of the boat to keep it out of the spray.

So far my ipod video (cir. 2006) has been in 38C (as well as being left in a car) and -23C weather. My biggest worry was not really the humidity, but getting sand on or in the ipod. I got a nice protective case (rubber and plastic) that would absorb some shock and keep it fully covered (to protect it from scratches).

A damn good feeling just chilling on a white sand beach with crystal clear water listening to acoustic tunes. Like John's buddy, I also had logitech speakers that I would break out on an outrigger and play tunes during the SIs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom