Is a spade a spade

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

would the apps listed for the iphone be available on the ipod touch?

Sounds like what I did for years anyway only at 10' instead of 15'. Whats old is new again.

would the apps listed for the iphone be available on the ipod touch?

Yup as long a you pay for the itouch upgrade, i think i paid like $5 for the upgrade allows you to use the app store and install the Ideco Pro which is nice to have. Pick up a housing for the itouch and you can toss it in your pocket and take it diving :D

I did a workshop for some of our dive staff recently and one of the modules was Decompression Theory and Practice. Part of the discussion was:

Every dive is a decompression dive.

One of the staff had a hard time wrapping her mind around the concept in large part because "Decompression" meant "Staged Decompression" to him. Another participant jumped in and suggested that I say:

Every dive is an On-gassing and Off-gassing dive.

This he could understand and get -- whether we call it an "No Decompression Limit" diving, "Minimum Decompression Diving" or just "Diving" -- in every dive you do on Scuba, you on-gas and you off-gas. The key is coming up with a plan FOR YOU that works and lets you go home feeling fine.

There are any number of ways to get there -- PADI RDP, Minimum Deco, Riding Your Computer -- whatever. But just remember, you will ALWAYS need to off-gas. The real key is where you want to do it -- in the water or on the surface -- and how much where.

I did a workshop for some of our dive staff recently... Part of the discussion was: Every dive is a decompression dive.

One of the staff had a hard time wrapping her mind around the concept in large part because "Decompression" meant "Staged Decompression" to him.

I find it a bit... worrisome that dive staff (who is somehow both female and male :D) struggled with that concept. What did s/he think was the purpose of dive tables/computers, and how did s/he adequately and appropriately instruct others?

Every dive is an On-gassing and Off-gassing dive.
This he could understand

Hmm... I'd go with:

What's the pressure at the surface? What's the pressure at x feet? What happens to the pressure as you ascend from x to the surface?

Marc, I sometimes "mix genders" to protect the guilty!

S/he probably does understand the reasons for the tables, computers, etc. but s/he has been so "brainwashed" with the idea of "No Decompression Limit" dives and it was hard to switch over to the idea that "Every Dive Is A Decompression Dive." To him/her, there was a bright line between "NDL" dives and "Deco" dives.

I think (I hope) that bright line has been significantly blurred!

The PADI recreational dive planner makes a 3 minute 15' safety stop "mandatory" on NDL dives below 100 feet and anytime when getting within 3 pressure groups of the NDL.

When a stop becomes mandatory should it still be called a safety stop or should it call a decompression stop or something else and if the stop is mandatory is it still an NDL dive.
Does missing a mandatory safety stop on the PADI table put a diver at greater risk than a diver skipping an optional safety stop on another table.

Opinions?

Mine is that calling it a safety stop is a bit misleading since by original definition a safety stop was recommended but optional and is optional on other tables.

Check out this article on DAN's site:
DAN Divers Alert Network

While it talks about deep stops, I think it's relevant to why safety stops are recommended or are becoming "mandatory"... Ascent rates are part of the equation.

Back
Top Bottom