Is a spare mask an absolute requirement when diving solo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some dives simply don't require redundancy.

For me, except for air. Even when doing Milfoil remediation - rolling up or placing mats in 15 feet or so - I always carry my pony. It seems silly with the surface so close and I didn't carry it the first dive - BUT - should I get hung up in a mat I'd be dead before anyone noticed. The vis drops to zero or less as soon as we begin working. Since it seemed dumb to carry it and actually isn't I err on the side of caution and carry the pony on every dive - even if it seems stupid.

Got a question. They have roll up snorkles to keep in your pocket. Is there a roll up/fold up mask to use as a backup? I don't want a bulky mask in my BC pocket. I might consider something that takes up minimal space.

OP---describe your (expected) dive profile....For me??---no, ie my solo dives are 30ish feet max depth with no overhead environment(s).

Many of the modern low volume masks fold pretty small. It's really not a big deal if you have pockets but sometimes I use a wetsuit with no pockets (and vintage gear) so extra gear placement becomes an issue, especially if you want to also carry an smb, mask, extra knife, slate, light...

Kharon, I don't knock your choice as I believe we should all own our own risk exposure and mitigation but I have thought before about the scenario you present.

I might debate the risk of entanglement with a pony vs without (whether the safety gear become a liability) and if extra air is what is really needed in such a situation. At shallow depths, an Al 80 really lasts a long time, long enough I think, to escape most entanglements. A redundant air source really acts to guard against a gas delivery failure, not gas depletion.

So, that is why I don't carry a pony in shallow depth, non overhead environments. I believe I can address a delivery failure by seeking the surface. I can address gas depletion by conservative gas planning.

But, that's just me. In the end it is most important to actually have thought about these things and have a plan to follow so if it works for you, it works.

I get kind of tickled reading the responses when questions like this are ask and I don't usually respond but... here's my O2:
The answer to your question is NO, a spare mask is not an "absolute" requirement when diving solo.
Are you comfortable surfacing without one? If so don't add the extra stuff, if you are concerned about it carry one it isn't just extra stuff.
For what its worth I agree with others, if you are making a technical dive in overhead or confined area I would have one but on recreational solo dives I would not and do not carry one.
As for diving in bad conditions like strong currents, obstructions and so on that some spoke of I just would not be diving those solo anyway so for me its a moot point, its out of my comfort level.

Paul

I'm going to say "it depends". Among other things, it depends on your personal reaction to water on your face.

Here's an easy test for ya ... drop down to about 15-20 feet with a buddy and take off your mask. Hand it to your buddy. See how long you can sit there and breathe without a mask on. For some folks, just the feeling of water on their face starts to inhibit their ability to breathe after a half-minute or so. It's not a physical impairment ... it's your brain messing with ya, telling you that you're going to drown ... and your ability to simply breathe off a perfectly functioning regulator becomes harder and harder. Now imagine what this would do to you if you were alone, couldn't see, and needed to ascend from a deeper depth.

If you get this feeling, then I'd recommend you carry a spare mask and be comfortable deploying it like it ain't no big whoop (because it shouldn't be). If you don't get this feeling, then diving without a spare mask is less of a consideration ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

No.

Maybe.

Yes?

For me the answer is a solid NO. For other divers, diving in different environments or with different comfort levels in the water, YES (refer to some of the great posts that came before this one).

You need to be able to figure this one out for yourself out before solo diving at a given dive site (not intended as a rude or harsh comment, just a factual statement relating to whether you are actually READY to solo dive).

Best wishes.

I said the same thing on the other thread about this... I lost a mask during a dive in an overhead, and it SUCKED. I will not dive without a spare mask. period. never again. nope. there will always be at least one spare mask for my team, and I will be the one with it in my pocket.

Of course not.

But without a spare mask you must be prepared to make a safe ascent to the surface without seeing anything. This means that a safety stop might be difficult to do. The ascent speed may also be hard to control. If you dive shallow enough for these issues not to matter, then a spare mask may not be needed.

If you need to follow a specific route back, then you'll probably need a spare mask.

Very cold water will cause severe pain, and you will want a mask now, and not at the surface. If you have no spare, the result won't be pretty.

The surface must be clear of obstacles too. Hitting a boat with your head is not healthy.

Last edited:
Loss of a mask on a no deco, no overhead dive is not a big deal. And, I would not plan deco/overhead dives for solo. If I did of course I would consider more/greater redundancy. For everything else, less can be more.

I cannot recall loosing a mask despite wearing them perched jauntily on my forehead. I do recall a broken strap or two. This is pretty much a non issue outside of cave/heavy tech.

N

Back
Top Bottom