Is a weight belt worn under a BP/W really "ditchable"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Litefoot

Litefoot

Contributor
Reaction score
I posted this question at the tail end of another thread, but decided to make a new thread. I know proper weighting is essential, but as a new diver, I like having the option of easily ditching weight in an emergency. To me,"ditchable" means quickly and easily shedding ballast. So, in my mind, having to unbuckle the harness, drop the crotch strap, and then unfasten and remove the weight belt wouldn't be quick nor easy for a distressed diver.

I really would like to go with a weight belt, but that aspect is a bit worrisome for me. Maybe it's something I need to try and practice to get more comfortable with it. What are your thoughts?

Edit: The other option I;m considering is the Subgravity Paragon system.

I think the webbing on these pockets just stretch out too much when wet and loaded. I don't think triglides would keep them in place. Pockets:

And I have both these and inner tubes and it jumped right over both:

I don't feel 100% confident in my weighting just yet but maybe I move it all to my back cambands?
My HOG pockets stay pretty well set with triglides. No experience with the DGX pockets

I have both these and inner tubes and it jumped right over both
Not sure what you mean by "inner tube" here. There is nothing to "jump over" in the inner-tube approach I linked above.

These quick dump pockets I linked to pages ago lock into the waist belt webbing and do not slide forward:

The pocket is installed on the webbing with the flap down so that when the red tab is pulled the block weight inside will fall free. There are no internal weight pockets to lose, just the lead block.

When I did my solo class I reverted to a weight belt as the instructor had me do a doff and don on the bottom and then a free swimming doff and don. The only time since that I have doffed my gear in the water was my Red Sea trip where removing the gear in the water was needed to get back into the RIB. Having my weight on my rig made it much easier for me to get into the RIB and reduced the amount of items needed to hand up, camera and then scuba instead of camera, weight belt, scuba.

Well, I take that back, diving from our little Whaler I do doff the gear in the water to prevent all the weight of us in gear on the ladder. And there is often nobody aboard to take the belt if we are both diving.

Additionally, I find with a traditional weight belt my wing/BP will tend to float away from me, gapping under my back. With the weight integration it does not do that and just feels more solid. But, I used weight belts for years so not like I am anti-weight belt or something :eyebrow: .

@OP Given the way a distressed diver breathes, he will be positive. The ditchable weight systems exist only to make rubber-boat crew's life less miserable, especially when lifting the gear of untrained or unfit divers who carry too much lead for anyone's good. If you take the habit of giving them a hand and weight yourself properly (neutral with empty bcd, 50bar, 5m), there is no need for it.
It is good that you asked yourself the question. And the bungeed stuff from subgravity looks neat.

I use a webbing belt but have a spring loaded buckle that works really well.

Those spring loaded buckles don't provide enough stretch to work as well as I had hoped.

An elastic freedive belt is much more comfortable and stable and won't slide around AND can be worn lower without falling off the hips, so it can be worn below the scuba harness and is less likely to be confused in an emergency. Plus if you select a different kind of buckle style (which is common on freedive belts), then this also reduces the potential for confusion in an emergency.

The rubber (or silicon) of a good freedive belt is also very "grippy" to the skin or dive suit, unlike a nylon belt. This characteristic also makes these belts less likely to fall or rotate during the dive and the depth compensation feature is also very nice, especially if you have a thick wetsuit.

I posted this question at the tail end of another thread, but decided to make a new thread. I know proper weighting is essential, but as a new diver, I like having the option of easily ditching weight in an emergency. To me,"ditchable" means quickly and easily shedding ballast. So, in my mind, having to unbuckle the harness, drop the crotch strap, and then unfasten and remove the weight belt wouldn't be quick nor easy for a distressed diver.

I really would like to go with a weight belt, but that aspect is a bit worrisome for me. Maybe it's something I need to try and practice to get more comfortable with it. What are your thoughts?

Edit: The other option I;m considering is the Subgravity Paragon system.
I have the Subgravity system, and it is very nice. Well Built. Nice people to deal with. As far as the weight issue, I just bought little pockets and add weight that can ditch very quick.

If you get rid of crappy nylon weight belts and buy a Mako free diving belt weights or pockets don't slide around. There is enough natural friction that things stay where you put them. I have 3 of the old belts and 2 of the new ones.
I was one of the original testers of the new belts and while I don't advise doing this. I put 20lbs of standard lead weights on it with no clips, triglides, or twists and picked it up by the buckle (which you never do with a nylon belt unless you want crushed toes) and tried to shake the lead off. They didn't move.
Plus Mako's if you have to ditch it in an emergency, we'll replace it and the lead policy makes spending the money for one a no brainer.

Back
Top Bottom