Is anyone interested in taking UTD Essentials? 10/9-10/11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don, can I bring my stab jacket and a spare air? What about my split fins, can I just tape them up with duct tape?

If you have a stab jacket and spare air and would like to use them in class, that'll be fun. We'll have some very good discussions and video reviews.

Regarding split fins and duct tape, I'd recommend just bringing the splits. I'll bring a back-up pair of paddle fins for you.

Though, if you put some zippers on the splits so that it can be convertible splits and paddle fins, perhaps we can make millions. Split mode for top end speed, paddle mode for maximum maneuverability. Good idea, no?

I'm still a maybe, looking into a long hose tho, can't find it on LeisurePro using the search term 7' hose. Anyone suggest a better search term?
And I feel weird replacing my $130+ split fins with $30 ones, will I really continue to use them?

Both Peter and Ben offer good recommendation. Since AWS is local to you, I'd go there. We can also meet up and discuss gear if you like. I don't like far away from AWS and am there at least once a week (if not more).

I have Jet Fins to try for class. You may or may not want to replace your splits after class, depends on a variety of factors. Actually, all the kicks that we teach and use can be done with splits. It's just more difficult and less efficient. As the result, most people switch permanently to paddle fins.

Thanks for all the encouragement and info everyone. I slept on it last night, and just can't do it this time due to financial reasons. It will still be there once I get a few more months away from this divorce. I have to concentrate on being a little more financially responsible before I get myself into real trouble, there are some one-time expenses right now I have to finish paying before taking the plunge to do something for myself.
Sounds like a fabulous class, and would be great people to do it with, but I have to regretfully decline for now.
Don, I would seriously consider doing it after Christmas, please keep me in mind around that time.

Sorry you won't be able to join Kathy and Mike. It would have been a lot of fun to have you in class.

Regardless, we should all try to dive together!

Sounds like a fabulous class, but I have to regretfully decline for now.Don, I would seriously consider doing it after Christmas, please keep me in mind around that time.

Go see Frank at Any Water Sports in SJ... He'll even help you swap it out if you want him to.

Since AWS is local to you, I'd go there. We can also meet up and discuss gear if you like. I don't like far away from AWS and am there at least once a week (if not more).

Sorry you can't make it Pacific Gal. Good news is that you have plenty of time to shop around for great deals on used gear. Both Don & Frank were very helpful with my gear conversion. And Any Water Sports is a fantastic dive shop! If you meet with Don and are clear what type of gear you want/need. you might want to keep your eye on for sale ads at the internet sites: "Scubaboard", "Dive Matrix" and "the Deco Stop". I picked up my set of small tropical jet fins used on Scuba Board for $25. I think my long hose was around $38 from Any Water Sports.

Good luck with everything, I hope to see you around.

Oh on another note, a few people have emailed with interest in Essentials but the date is wrong. Perhaps if others have interest in Essentials at a later date you can check in with Don & another class/date will start to form.

Though, if you put some zippers on the splits so that it can be convertible splits and paddle fins, perhaps we can make millions. Split mode for top end speed, paddle mode for maximum maneuverability. Good idea, no?

:popcorn:

Last edited:
...Though, if you put some zippers on the splits so that it can be convertible splits and paddle fins, perhaps we can make millions. Split mode for top end speed, paddle mode for maximum maneuverability. Good idea, no?

What about my navigation when one of the zippers comes loose and I keep swimming in circles? Will we be going over navigation in the class, too?

Or was that what they meant when they sold me my split fins and said I'd swim circles around divers with paddle fins?

What about my navigation when one of the zippers comes loose and I keep swimming in circles? Will we be going over navigation in the class, too?

Or was that what they meant when they sold me my split fins and said I'd swim circles around divers with paddle fins?

LOL. Let's make it a "feature."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom