Is anyone interested in taking UTD Essentials? 10/9-10/11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kathy, how were your dives on Sunday with that Brewski guy? I dove with him on Saturday and he is definitely in need of a UTD intervention!

Hi Chris,

It was great to see Brewski on the boat but we didn't get to dive because my hands were full trying to keep up with the GUE gang who invited me on board as a parter ;-). Wow! I love watching the UTD/GUE divers underwater. I can't wait to learn more of this technique.

I did dive with Brewski before and we had a great time. From what I have seen in my few hundred dive scuba career (diving with both recreation/tech divers --- beginners/instructors). I think many divers technique/skills could benefit from this type of instruction. Myself, Mike, Pacific Gal, Brewski and those who have taken courses such as you, Ben, and others are certainly no exception.

Can anyone post some video links that show some of this exceptional diving?

Last edited:
Beautiful diving, inspirational! And from my perspective “exceptional”!

Please keep the videos comming :)!

I think it is important to note that many divers seek this type of instruction & use the skills at a single tank recreational level (without all the extra deco tanks).

Essentials is a recreational course that lays skills for strong recreational diving, and/or for future progression into more aggressive diving. (Anyone care to elaborate?)

What you don't really notice in the videos is the extraordinarily effective buddy skills & communication, pre-dive checks, etc, etc.

Last edited:
So Mike will you dive with your non-UTD Essentials trained and non-DIR buddy after this course ? I am back after my trip down under. You may have seen the pictures about my brush with your nemesis :)

So Mike will you dive with your non-UTD Essentials trained and non-DIR buddy after this course ? I am back after my trip down under. You may have seen the pictures about my brush with your nemesis :)

CricfanSD,

I'm happy to hear from you and excited about hearing all about your diving in the land down under... :D

It gives me the chills to know anything about my nemesis, and will await a full report when you reach dry land... :shocked2:

As far as diving with my original diving friends, I wouldn't change that for anything, even as I evolve into a better diver myself. I'm not into labeling divers by agencies, I choose my diving friends from past diving experience...

I have so much to learn, but from my first 100 dives in cold California waters I will tell you this, there are some divers I will not dive again with, and it has nothing to do with agencies, when you are on separate pages of the book, there is trouble...

There is a lot of arrogance that comes from labels, and that is why I'm staying clear of that department, I've seen all too much already...

I wish you could've joined us for essentials, you are a very fine diver, and I will soon introduce you to my instructor Don and Kathy my diving partner for this endeavor...

MG

Last edited:
Beautiful diving, inspirational! And from my perspective “exceptional”!

Please keep the videos comming :)!

I think it is important to note that many divers seek this type of instruction & use the skills at a single tank recreational level (without all the extra deco tanks).

Essentials is a recreational course that lays skills for strong recreational diving, and/or for future progression into more aggressive diving. (Anyone care to elaborate?)

What you don't really notice in the videos is the extraordinarily effective buddy skills & communication, pre-dive checks, etc, etc.

Thank you :)

I have been diving "DIR" basically from the time I started diving (took DIR-F at dive 40) and was lucky enough to have an Open Water instructor that had GUE Tech 1.

I love this system of diving, it just makes so much sense to me, and has allowed me to have friends all over the world who dive in the exact same way that I do.

I really hope you enjoy the training, Don is a really cool guy, and most of all that you have *fun* while diving, wherever it may take you!

And speaking of single tanks. I dive a single tank whenever I can (that it makes sense for the dive of course!) one of the tenets of DIR is to bring what you need, not 10 times as much just to look "cool"

It is true that doubles give you extra redundancy and safety even on shallow dives, but they are by no means necessary or even always the best choice!

Here is one that is more recreational (max depth 35 feet :)

http://www.nickambrose.com/diving/movies/seattle-edmonds-march-2007.mov

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom