Is AOW necessary?

Should Advanced Open water be required?

• Yes

Votes: 27 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • Not if a diver can prove sufficient experience

Votes: 15 18.5%
  • An ''Evaluation'' type course should be offered that could award the AOW Cert

Votes: 11 13.6%
  • Other, please explain below

Votes: 8 9.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blackvans1234

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey guys, I made a previous survey that has gotten a lot of hits and generated even more debate, so I figured I would make another survey, hopefully this one will be more clear (comparatively) and straight forward.

Do you think that the Advanced Open water course is necessary as a pre-requisite to additional courses? (IE rescue, MSD, DM)
From what I understand, AOW class/certification covers: Night diving, Wreck diving, Deep diving, more advanced navagation techniques, and possibly search and recovery.

Let me be the first to state my opinion, so there is no confusion.

I feel as though AOW should be able to be surpassed by a diver if he/she can prove sufficient experience with the specific skills and techniques taught in the AOW course. If the diver proves to be as competent as a PADI/NAUI/SSI/ other trained AOW student, then they should be given the certification.

Possibly, but where's the cash flow in that? Would you pay $300 or $400 to go through a checkout dive to prove your skill level? Or, if the fee is $300 or $400 would you expect there to be some for of class or training? The bottom line is, shops are not going to issue cards after a $50.00 checkout dive when they can get you into a $300 or $400 class.

Should dive ops require AOW? No, not if you have sufficient experience (accurate dive log.)

No. AOW is experiential, not evidence of proficiency much less mastery.

I enjoyed AOW and would recommend it, but not require it for anything in particular. Especially if a diver can show a modest level of experience.

No AOW should not be a mandatory Pre requisite for "rescue" or any safety course IMO however as for a DM or something higher I feel it something that should be required unless they are going tp be taking other courses which cover those skills "Specialities". From a just diver stand point I feel you can get a lot out of an AOW course if you have the right instructor

AOW provides a structured approach to improving your dive skills under the supervision of an instructor, and hopefully a good one. Having a lot of experience and a large number of dives where you have fine tuned your bad habits does not make someone a good diver. Conversely, getting an AOW certification doesn't necessarily mean that you are a greatly improved diver. The path to MSD or DM is not that long that one would need to skip AOW.

I'm going to give a real world scenario here. I know a diver who can hover motionless/horizontal a few inches over the bottom of a silt covered quarry bottom without budging an inch, then procede to frog kick along without stirring anything up, then helicopter turn to procede the other way and come to a stop and procede to back kick and after a while go inverted to view his path to check and make sure he hasn't silted anything. This is done at 90ffw. He has done drift dives in a dark river numerous times, plenty night dives and can navigate with his compass efficiently. He has done this with at least 4 yrs experience. Several ocean/boat dives are under his belt; wreck, reef, and drift. He's fair at shooting an SMB with a spool. Has decent air consumption, understands and utilizes air management, plans his dive and dives his plan, and folks who have dived with him have said they would definitely do so again. He has kept an accurate and complete LOG. Here's the twist; he's only OW & Nitrox certified and to get AOW he has to pay near $300.00 to go to the same quarry he has over 100 dives in, to prove he can do a few math skills, open a combo lock, navigate an area with 40ft vis he can do without a compass, do fin pivots, etc. Why not just do a checkout dive and the written exams for a reduced price, say $50.00-$75.00?
I think Gary hit the nail IMO. The course could be good for some folks, but some are already beyond that level and it's a disservice IMHO to require the full blown course for those in the second category. :idk:

If you want to dive greater than 18meters on a charter/live aboard or the like it is required. Outside of this reason is it necessary? I dont think so. As others having your AOW does not mean a great deal as to level or actual ability, given you can finish your OW and begin your AOW the very next day. I didnt find the AOW to be particularly helpful in anyway other than to permit me to dive to 40meters which at the time I dont beleive I was anywhere experienced enough to be doing so. Im sure this may depend on the instructor. I feel better diving with an OW cert diver who has done 100s of dives, much more so that an AOW who has 20. There is no substitue for experience.

Great responses

The masses seem to be split on this one!

First off, AOW is my favorite class to teach ... mine's a bit different than what most of you probably took, and I think my students get a lot out of the class.

That said, it should not be necessary for continuing education. Nor, in the case of Rescue, is it needed if you're taking NAUI classes ... you can bypass it altogether (caveat ... NAUI calls the class ASD ... Advanced Scuba Diver ... not AOW).

To my concern, the only class that should be considered necessary after OW is Rescue. Every other class you take should be based purely on what your diving goals happen to be ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom