Is April a good time to dive in thailand?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unfortunately my friend can't come so after some deliberation I've decided to head over to Thailand on my own. I really want to dive there and I can't let a little thing like traveling on my own stop me. So, as some of you guys live in Thailand or seem to know a lot about it, if you don't mind I have a few queries you might be able to help me with.

I was thinking of flying to Phuket either around the 3rd April or the 11th and doing a liveaboard then doing some island hoping, before heading home 1 or 2 weeks later (Hopefully I will be able to make definite plans soon!)
Good plan, zanoscuba! You'll find Thailand very welcoming to solo travelers.

So...

1. How easy would it be to get a last minute liveabord deal when I get there? is it busy that time of year?
The season is winding down at that time of year, and you should be able to manage a discounted trip. Keep in mind that these are typically announced only about a week in advance, so you need to be flexible with your dates. If you have a specific itinerary with target travel dates, it's better to pre-book than to wait for last minute deals since that way you get the boat that you really want rather than whatever is available.
2. I'm a little apprehensive about going on my own, is it generally an ok place for a women to travel on her own in Thailand and that particular area? (i understand you can not make general sweeping statements about a place, but your personal experiences and opinions are welcome.)
It's generally fine for female solo travelers. The thing that gets people into trouble when they come to Thailand is that they forget to pack their common sense when preparing for the trip! Just because a place feels so exotic that it might be DisneyLand doesn't mean it's not the real world where visitors should use the same sorts of cautious approaches they would at home:
• Always stay sober enough to know where you are and who you're with.
• When out walking on your own, stay in busy, well-lighted areas.
• If you meet a friendly local guy and would like to spend some time with him, be aware that the dating culture is way different here and there are bound to be misunderstandings if you agree to a one-on-one date. Date in groups only.
Thanks loads.
Very welcome!

Live-aboards are perfect for solo travellers, you can hardly avoid meeting interesting people who share your interest in diving. There are often guests with more or less the same plans who end up travelling together to the next destination.

As for last-minute deals, I have heard from a couple of colleagues that some of their live-aboard trips will be cancelled due to the lack of bookings in April. If you have a schedule or have your mind set on a specific boat it might be wise to book a bit in advance, so that you avoid the disappointment......

I'm female and have lived here for a few years - never had any problems, whether I've been single or in a relationship. Could be because I'm tall enough to scare off most people - or could be that I stick to the advice Quero gave as well: don't do anything you wouldn't do at home.

You'll be fine, you'll have a great time - and you'll probably come back for more :wink:

Happy diving
Karin

Quero and Aquamarin, thanks so much your advice it has really helped me have the confidence to go on my own. I am booking my tickets today! I'll be there from the 4th -20th April.

Any ideas on good places to stay in my first day in and around phucket? also any suggestions of good things to do or places to visit in that area when I'm not diving?

thanks again

It's been a few years since I lived on Phuket, so my info is not that up-to-date. I'd definitely avoid Patong though. Kata, Karon, Chalong, Rawai are quite nice. Having said that, I'd head up to Khao Lak instead, but I'm of course biased :wink:

I'm sure "the others" will give you feedback re Phuket, I'll stick to Khao Lak: not much night life in terms of disco's and clubs, but some really nice bars with a good and relaxed atmosphere.

There's the Khao Sok national park an hours drive north, which is well worth a visit - taying overnight in a tree- or lake house is always a hit. Nature is amazing, mountains, rivers, lakes with plenty of exotic plants and animals.

If you want to chill, we have White Sand Beach or Koh Kho Khao where you hardly meet any people, but even the beaches here in "town" aren't crowded at all.

Khao Lak is of course the closest gateway to the Similans, and if you want to add a day or two diving we have one of my own favorite dive sites, Boonsung Wreck, 20-30 minutes from shore.

The Bang Niang market is worth a couple of hours and if you want to do something completely different and have loads of time, why not spend a couple of days volunteering with one of the charities here. painting playgrounds or install windows in one of the orphanages? - I can connect you if you wish, but of course it only makes sense if you have loads of time here.

Feel free to ask away...........:wink:

Greetings from Khao Lak
Karin

Besides diving? Well, there are land-based national parks, too, if you are interested in hiking. Specifically, the Khao Sok NP is gorgeous, and in the next province over (Surat Thani), so not so far. If you are interested in rock climbing, there are opportunities for that in Krabi province, both on Phi Phi island and at Railay on the mainland. Also a sea kayaking trip to the karst islands in Phang Nga Bay is unmissable. This area has been designated a UN World Heritage site. On Phuket there are the beaches, of course, and tons of night life; and then there are places like the Gibbon Rehabilitation Project where gibbons are rescued from the slavery of the tourist trade and reintroduced to jungle life. Phuket is a rather large island (the physical size of Singapore), so there are undeveloped places and national parks right on the island. Some of these have mostly-deserted beaches and waterfalls, etc. You could visit a temple or two, try muay thai kickboxing training, learn to paint batik, take a Thai cookery class, go for a detox week, spend whole days getting massages, etc., etc., I'm sure we can keep you busy if you want to be busy or find ways for you to chill if you want to relax.

Besides what Quero and Aquamarin have advised, I'd tell you not to rent mopeds or motorbikes, specially on the islands. Not just is the driving habits around here crazy, but the road conditions are atrocious.

Besides what Quero and Aquamarin have advised, I'd tell you not to rent mopeds or motorbikes, specially on the islands. Not just is the driving habits around here crazy, but the road conditions are atrocious.

Good point. Also don't rent any jet skis.

Hi Aquamarin - I'm going to be staying in Khao Lak for a few days before I head off to the Isalnds, can you (or anyone else) recommend any nice places to stay?

Thanks

Hi Mary, I just sent you an email describing the different areas here. I'll be happy to give you recommendations - a bit more information on your requirements and budget (close to beach, close to nightlife, quiet, etc.....) would make it much easier for me......

Thanks & see you soon
Karin :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom