Is April a good time to dive in thailand?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This year is totally unpredictable! it could be calm and sunny or rough and windy! however underwater the diving is amazing during Jan-May. My last trip of 2010 season was April 26th and it was perfect, weather was awesome, mantas everywhere at koh bon and a whale shark at richelieu, however i was warned there could be bad weather.

Interesting thread..

Is it possible to book a live-a-board that also visits these islands of the Myanmar coast? They look so.. unspoiled.. I google earth'ed them and they are immediately on my to-do list

Is it better to book a live-board on location or book ahead? If i visit Thailand i will have month so waiting a few days in a tropic paradise in order to save a few bucks aint no problem (sort of the goal)

sonar, yes, there are boats departing from Thailand that visit some of the Burmese islands. And when you see these islands from a satellite photo, yes, they do look so unspoiled--topside. Many reefs, however, are quite destroyed underwater, due to dynamite fishing, so you might want to keep that kind of information in mind when making your to-do list.

In April, in your situation, you have a good chance of saving some money on a live aboard by waiting until the last-minute prices are published. Trips to Burma are quite a lot more expensive though, due to the distance (fuel costs) as well as to entry fees for Burma (visa).

ah ok,

dynamite fishing is such a terrible unconstructive method.. unbelievable.

If i would be lucky how much would a trip to these island cost in april? How many days will that trip be? Where should i go to have a good shot at a last minute trip?

There are not so many boats doing Burma trips. The MV Jazz does 6 day trips, but last Burma trip planned for the season is 7-13 April. Nautica has a trip scheduled 19 - 27 April, 8 nights in Thailand and Burma. The Nautica trip has a 20% off price already.

.....l It is an old belief that the Nagas or mythical serpents brought on rain by spouting water from the seas. The more they spouted, the more rain there would be. So, one might believe that the Songkran customs of throwing water is actually a rain-making idea, but it seems that the Thais don't really bother about way they celebrate Songkran - they just do it for having a great time!

Instead of just asking a question on Phuket diving, I thought I would contribute at least one informative post .... :D

Actually, Songkran does not really have much to do with Nagas or mystical serpents (above); but that sounds romantic in modern times, I guess!

Songkran is the beginning of Thai (lunar) New Year. In the "olden days" before Songkran became mostly a festival of drunken people having water fights in the street, there was actually an important Buddhist tradition and story that was the foundation of Songkran. It goes something like this:

When the Buddha was in his last struggle with Mara (metaphor of the evil of human desire and suffering) moments before His Enlightenment; Mara asked the future Buddha to be, "What merit and good deeds have you done to deserve to be the Enlightened One"?

At that time, as it was for many years prior, the custom was for people to make merit (do something good) and to pour water into the Earth afterward. So, naturally if you had performed myriad good deeds in your life, the Earth would be full of pure water from your merit making.

As the story goes, the Buddha to be said to Mara, "I call the Earth to be my witness" and Maa Pra Thoranee (the Mother of the Earth, English representation of Thai sounds) appeared from within the Earth. Her beautiful hair was jet black and very long; and with both her hands, she squeezed the abundance of water out of her hair, which represented all the great merit that the future Buddha to be had accumulated over many lifetimes.

There was so much water from Maa Pra Thoranee's hair that Mara was washed away, and the Buddha proceeded to Enlightenment.

The water tradition in Songkran comes from the same tradition - the old tradition of making merit and pouring water into the Earth; but it then evolved (many years ago) to pouring water gently over the hands of others, to begin the Thai New Year with acts of kindness and merit making. This is the true origin of water activities for Thai New Year (Songkram).

Depending on your perspective, for better of worse; Songkran has evolved (in modern times) far beyond it's original meaning of the water from merit in the Earth, accumulated from merit making, washing away Mara (sin). It has become a commercial, drunken holiday that, like most traditional holidays, is practiced today without knowledge of the actual true meaning, since Songkran today is just a "time off from work" to "drink lots of alcohol" and get into "water fights".

Actually, Songkran as practiced by the majority of Thais today is 180 degrees out of sync with the original meaning of the very beautiful Thai Buddhist tradition of gently pouring clean pure water on the hands of friends, strangers and loved ones in the act of making merit to bring good luck for the New Year.

This is the actual story of the original of Songkran, the Buddhist Tradition, to bring good luck to all in the beginning of the new Thai lunar year.

The reason I know this is that many years ago I practiced as a Buddhist Novice and also practiced as a Monk for a short period; and during those years of my life I was taught many "traditional Thai and Buddhist things" by elder Thai Buddhist Monks throughout Thailand (North to South and North East). Those were very different times for me.

Frankly speaking, most Thais do not understand the origin of the Songkran water tradition (much less foreigners and tourists), and the true meaning of it. Like many similar traditions in other cultures and customs, the "traditional meaning" was not about commercial concerns and business; but commercial concerns (tourism, selling gifts, etc.) has changed and redefined the traditions; money dominates modern thinking.

Edit (Update): I notice there are numerous "origins" of Songkran described on the net. Seems the "origins" keeps changing over time, and based on a lot of other factors! This is Thailand!

Last edited:
Unfortunately my friend can't come so after some deliberation I've decided to head over to Thailand on my own. I really want to dive there and I can't let a little thing like traveling on my own stop me. So, as some of you guys live in Thailand or seem to know a lot about it, if you don't mind I have a few queries you might be able to help me with.

I was thinking of flying to Phuket either around the 3rd April or the 11th and doing a liveaboard then doing some island hoping, before heading home 1 or 2 weeks later (Hopefully I will be able to make definite plans soon!)

So...

1. How easy would it be to get a last minute liveabord deal when I get there? is it busy that time of year?

2. I'm a little apprehensive about going on my own, is it generally an ok place for a women to travel on her own in Thailand and that particular area? (i understand you can not make general sweeping statements about a place, but your personal experiences and opinions are welcome.)

Thanks loads.

It should be fairly easy to get a last minute on a live aboard, you also may get a last minute discount, you can try either Phuket but there are also many operators in Kao Lak, really near the airport, about an hour or so away from Phuket airport.

In general if you do what you do at home and don't check your brain in at Thai immigration upon entering the country, you should be just fine travelling around Thailand as a single female.

Back
Top Bottom