Question Is baby shampoo really that bad?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnN

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
“Common” knowledge is that the baby shampoo used to defog masks, “eats” the silicone O-rings of cameras when they share a rinse tank

Urban myth or truth??

I vote Myth. :)

“Common” knowledge is that the baby shampoo used to defog masks, “eats” the silicone O-rings of cameras when they share a rinse tank

Urban myth or truth??
Scoop water with hand, dump in mask, swish, dump ... Why is there a mask in the rinse tank?

I’m not sure about camera o-rings, but baby shampoo is terrible for coral
Do you have a reference that gives some data on the significance of concentration vs. harm?

This is a little “market-y/salesy” but it was the first info I could recall right away.

I know I’ve read more detailed info that referenced some of the items this blog post mentions, but I’m not finding it in my browsing history right now. I’ll try and find it to share here.

I’m not sure about camera o-rings, but baby shampoo is terrible for coral
I'm reasonably certain bad juju would happen if you managed to pour any shampoo on coral. But using a bit to take the film/oil off the inside of a mask that is rised at the surface and remains attached/sealed to your face has any leakage that could effect coral seems highly speculative/horse manure

This is a little “market-y/salesy” but it was the first info I could recall right away.

I know I’ve read more detailed info that referenced some of the items this blog post mentions, but I’m not finding it in my browsing history right now. I’ll try and find it to share here.
I’ve read stuff about reef damage “caused” by sunscreens but none about shampoo especially that self-serving bs from Stream2Sea. Really hard to quantify damage to reefs from these products anyway.

lol baby shampoo is for posers. not only is it bad for coral it's also bad for your eyes and causes a slipping hazard on deck. I don't dive with shampoo users. Sea drops and nothing else period.

Ok, fish swiming in the spray bottle, no bueno. But a couple drops/dive even over 1000 diver-dives/day doesn't add up to significant changes in the physical properties of water in an open system.

Back
Top Bottom