Is Belize a good match for us?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Katzgar, don't you think it should be pointed out that the kayaking out to the reef is not done everywhere along the reef. Where were you located on the island and kayaking out to the reef?

Katzgar, don't you think it should be pointed out that the kayaking out to the reef is not done everywhere along the reef. Where were you located on the island and kayaking out to the reef?

I dont know of a map for the tie offs. Commonly if there isnt one you just tie the kayak to your ankle.

Tying a kayak to your ankle and going snorkeling on the reef off AC sounds like a good way to get sucked onto or over the reef. In addition, crossing a cut would be likely to get one sucked out. Be careful. Watch the weather.

perhaps it sounds that way but it isnt that way, like anything in life paying attention is rewarded.

---------- Post added October 24th, 2015 at 10:28 AM ----------

I was unclear, the kayaking to the reef is for snorkeling

Belize diving is awesome, and the longer boat rides out to the atolls are well worth the dives. We stayed on Caye Caulker... a lot less busy than Ambergis which we visited.

Nice kayaking around Caulker as well (snorkeling through the dank mangroves you'll spot loads of seahorses, lots of juvenile fishes, and cool stuff like bat fish and huge tarpon. No fear of currents there, the water was mostly still.

Pick and choose your weather carefully when snorkeling on your own at the reef. These guys were spearfishing from a canoe which may or may not have actually been a kayak. They fell out of the kayak inside the reef and wound up outside of the reef. They certainly had fins. Once in the eater, they got sucked out of the Tres Cocos cut. One died. This was a year ago. I have snorkeled and spearfished on the reef north of San Pedro. The currents and washing machine effect are noting to mess with. At points, it was hard to stay away from the coral without a kayak tied to my ankle.
Fishing expedition off Ambergris Caye turns tragic; 1 man still missing - The San Pedro Sun News

This American Soldier was kayaking with a buddy inside the reef at Mexico Rocks in April of 2014. He died, but his buddy made it.

Belize Coast Guard continue their search for US Soldier missing at sea - The San Pedro Sun News

I don't think it's fear so much as common sense. If I'm doing something new, and for me kayaking around AC or anywhere else in Belize to snorkel or dive would be something new, I would go with a guide who has experience rather than just strike out on my own.

I think Belize requires divers have a guide. I don't know if they require one for snorkeling from a kayak.

They do not require a guide to snorkel from a kayak. I was not trying to spread fear, I was just pointing out the risks of tying a kayak to your ankle while snorkeling. I personally have snorkeled in non-tourist areas north and south of town. The reef can be very unpredictable especially to someone who isn't familiar with the area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom