Is buying a used regulator a good deal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mwilding

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have a Mares Axis with SPG that I got for a good price from an aquaintance. In order to dive this set-up with piece of mind, I guess I need to take it in for service, right?

What kind of service is necessary? The previous owner may be able to show me a receipt from a recent service, but if I don't see it, I am going to assume it needs it. What will the LDS do and how much is it going to cost? My LDS doesn't carry this brand of regulator, so I guess they might rape me on the service cost.

Adding in the cost of the service, will I have paid full retail price for a used reg?

charges $20 per stage labor + parts.

Parts are somewhere in neighborhood of $15-$25 per stage.
Having 3 stages (first, second & octo) service would cost you around $120.

They will break it down and rebuild, new o-rings and moving parts as required. Depending on how long since the last service this may require more or less parts, which will affect pricing accordingly. $125 would probably be the high end in the PNW, I've paid about that for an old Mares I have that hadn't been serviced in several years, around 60-80 for ones that get annual service as they should.

Whether you're acquaintance has a receipt for service or not, you should take it in and make sure your purchase is dependant on the reg being serviceable you wouldn't want to discover unknown (or god forbid undisclosed) problems after your stuck with the thing. Have you seen this person dive it?

When you stop and consider most divers are using a well used regulator (even if they bought it new!), as long as you have it checked out, preferably rebuilt, you are O.K. zeN

Definately take it in for servicing. They will clean it, change any worn seals and parts, and ensure its in good working order. Have seen a few 2nd hand regs come in that were down right dangerous to dive because of corrosion, bad seals or missing parts.
After servicing the reg should be fine.

All my current regs are used... I got them from other divers as gifts. I prefer the SP Mk10/G250's so I have to get them used. Just have them services and don't worry, be happy!

If I bought all my SCUBA gear new, I'd miss a few mortgage payments!

Dr. Bill

mwilding once bubbled...
I have a Mares Axis with SPG that I got for a good price from an aquaintance. In order to dive this set-up with piece of mind, I guess I need to take it in for service, right?

What kind of service is necessary? The previous owner may be able to show me a receipt from a recent service, but if I don't see it, I am going to assume it needs it. What will the LDS do and how much is it going to cost? My LDS doesn't carry this brand of regulator, so I guess they might rape me on the service cost.

Adding in the cost of the service, will I have paid full retail price for a used reg?

You're smart to think about it. Assume it needs servicing anyway and calculate that into the purchase price. You should always do that with used gear.

R..

All my regs are used too.

I would't worry too much about an overhaul unless the thing is freeflowing. Take it to a reputable shop and ask for a bench test. If there's a problem, it'll show up there. Chances are it'll be fine.

John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom