Is cave diving safer than Open Water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Generally nothing in the caves that can eat you. That’s a big plus for me! 😁

The danger to scuba divers from big predators in the ocean is way, way overblown.

To stay on topic, I suspect driving to and from the dive site is more dangerous than OW or cave (assuming proper training)

The danger to scuba divers from big predators in the ocean is way, way overblown.
As long as you don't look like a loggerhead or an insufficiently speared gag grouper :)

DSC03866 (1).JPG

tiger 1.jpg

Imagine how scary diving would be if there were dozens of divers around you using 2-ton DPVs and the vast majority of them were drunk, staring at their phones, had just gotten their cert or some combination of all 3. 🤔

No arguing from me that cave divers should be properly equipped and properly trained...... I also believe that there are open water ocean environments that can present conditions that can be less predictable and potentially more dangerous than many cave dives.

Just to be clear...there are extremes that are on both sides of the cave vs open water discussion. All in all, I'd say that a normal, fully controlled, properly planned and predictable cave dive is more dangerous than a normal, fully controlled, properly planned and predictable NDL open water dive.

To stay on topic, I suspect driving to and from the dive site is more dangerous than OW or cave (assuming proper training)
I have seen some statistics that seem to indicate that driving and OW diving fatalities are roughly comparable in terms of probability.

You having a hundred dives, 2 in a sea cave following a DM on a trust me dive that turned out well was the best thing that could have happened. I’m glad it worked out okay. Ocean is generally safer than cave diving. Certain conditions necessitate calling the dive for both environments. The conditions you describe for ocean being less safe may be reasons to call the dive or not dive at all. Having a cave blown out may be a reason to call the cave dive before it starts. Feeling calmer in one environment doesn’t equate to safe. You may like cave diving and so I would suggest cave training before doing another cave dive and putting your life in someone’s hands again so willingly.

Was the DM cave trained and did they have redundancy with their gas? Did you? Did you have redundant light source, continuous line to the surface, etc? At one point people didn’t use pressure gauges, which I think now we all know and agree that an SPG is safer to manage gas supply. Training was mentioned before, but from tragedy the community has recognized that as an important element towards safely diving in an overhead environment.

I think your question is great but it’s hard to read without commenting on the dangers you put yourself in, although feeling calm, may not have realized the danger.

I admit I feel much calmer in a cave when things are going well. I’ll also admit that I’ve been jammed up in the wrong side of the line in zero viz for 10 minutes because of being wedged in unable to move in any direction. That in fact was not my most calmest moments. It’s stressful and I’m thankful for the training I went through in those moments to regain calmness - stress can escalate. Self rescue is so important.

Hit me with their scooters - i suppose its possible but highly unlikely since you're in a cave with total darkness and any light for someone else approaching becomes easily seen.

Sometimes, people hide in a cave with their lights off. Then when you pass, they Tbone you from the side with a scooter sending you into a massive barrel roll.
I know, I have seen it happen.
@wmperry Have you ever seen anything like that happen?

Sometimes, people hide in a cave with their lights off. Then when you pass, they Tbone you from the side with a scooter sending you into a massive barrel roll.
I know, I have seen it happen.
@wmperry Have you ever seen anything like that happen?

Would love to hear this story in more detail…

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom