IS DAN a good idea? has anyone ever used it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We require dive insurance for all of our trips. DAN is the dive insurance that we recommend.

I have had DAN and Dive Assure policies. I have only filed a claim with Dive Assure and that was for a visit to the emergency room in Cozumel. Something got in my eye while clearing my mask in a cenote. They paid me as soon as the claim was processed. I had to pay the hospital in Mexico. I have called DAN on a few occasions for referral for an ear injury and was given the name of a fantastic doctor. It's worth it for the little things as well as the big things than may come up.

would never ever dive without it.

I would not be opposed to agencies forcing people to take it out (insurance, not just subscription) although I can understand that for a casual diver they couldn't see the value in retaining a yearly subscription to an insurer.

I've never needed to use it myself, but I'm acquainted with a few people that needed it _badly_ and give it a very strong endorsement. That's good enough for me.

We will not dive without DAN. In my short time diving I've never made a claim (really hope I never have to) but I have called their helpline for medical information and for a referral when I was getting my physicals done before my certification.

Thanks for all the info, I am getting DAN befor my Cozumel trip in 2 weeks, not sure what level to get for my wife, currently a non diver but is going to try a resort dive and may even do her open water cert if she likes is. She also has ear worries and a 15-30ft dive will calm her fears or prove them valid.

Yes, absolutely worth it. Our experience with DAN has been nothing but positive. While we've never used it for the business, a couple of our instructors have used their personal policies - one for a marine life injury and one for a fractured wrist sustained by falling on a choppy boat ride. DAN's response was prompt, professional and there was no quibbles over repayment. In fact in one case they even followed up with reminder emails when the instructor had not nominated a bank account for refund of medical treatment payments. An insurance company that chases you up to remind you they owe you money - you don't come across those very often!

---------- Post added November 22nd, 2013 at 01:58 PM ----------

With regards to your wife's insurance, if its just for snorkelling and a few resort dives you may want to have a look at InDepths, which offers daily protection rather than a yearly policy. This may be all she needs, and more cost effective than buying up a whole year for a one week trip. Happy diving! :)

As most others, yes. I've never used it but it has saved me paying the silly "Insurance" fees some overseas operators will get you to buy if you don't have your own insurance. I never buy travel insurance but with my advancing years might need to re think that one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom