Is different equipment for women DIR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lv2dive

Formerly known as KatePNAtl
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Seemed that they were talking about the fit of equipment not so much different equipment, more tailored for the female differences in physique.

i guess it was hard to know exactly what to was meant by: "Well that's one of our big moves in 2017, is to really come out with a UTD/DIR woman's BC, women's line, because, to be honest you know, a backplate and a harness just doesn't look all that sexy; I hate to say it, but it just doesn't."

Just doesn't seem like a women's BC (or line) is very DIR.

Seemed that they were talking about the fit of equipment not so much different equipment, more tailored for the female differences in physique.

Well, it all makes sense now. How can a woman possibly dive without looking sexy? I think Andrew's sales model is "Take something that is basic, works perfectly the way it is and figure out a way to change it so I can sell it for more money."

meli.JPG
katrin.JPG

"Well that's one of our big moves in 2017, is to really come out with a UTD/DIR woman's BC, women's line, because, to be honest you know, a backplate and a harness just doesn't look all that sexy; I hate to say it, but it just doesn't."
Obviously. Ewww! Yuch! These women are hideous.

Last edited:
I don't want my kit sexy. I want it functional. Good thing my current kit is
I hear that, spoke to my wife regarding this and she stated that the harness does not bother her. We dive very basic bp/w no padding, standard bp, ect... and she does not have any thing that she feels needs to be revamped from a female physique perspective.
But the original post was about is it DIR, now I am definitely not an expert but from what I know and see if the gear meets the standards why wouldn't it be? (statement and question). Possibly a slight change in the cuttouts for the harness may form to a female physique better I don't know what else except making more colorful things with "Hello Kitty" or whatever on them would appeal to women. UTD is a business so marketing wise maybe they have done some studies and enough women that dive "DIR" have expressed some views on gear and how it could be improved from their point of view. And as a company in the business to make money they want to venture into that and see if it produces?

They are coming out with something new that will be different for women than it is for men. IOW, non-standard. I don't know how that could meet the ideas of DIR.

if guy friends are visiting from out of state and doing a project dive, and the airline lost their luggage, with standardized gear they don't have to miss the dive or buy new gear bc they can borrow my extra kit. (Obviously not drysuits but work with me here <g>) But I can't help them if it's special girl kit! Or if i have special girl fins that won't work for "heavy doubles and 18 stages"?

That is the issue. DIR is supposed to be about - among other things- standardization and beginning with the end in mind. Special girl gear doesn't do that.

I hear that, spoke to my wife regarding this and she stated that the harness does not bother her. We dive very basic bp/w no padding, standard bp, ect... and she does not have any thing that she feels needs to be revamped from a female physique perspective.
But the original post was about is it DIR, now I am definitely not an expert but from what I know and see if the gear meets the standards why wouldn't it be? (statement and question). Possibly a slight change in the cuttouts for the harness may form to a female physique better I don't know what else except making more colorful things with "Hello Kitty" or whatever on them would appeal to women. UTD is a business so marketing wise maybe they have done some studies and enough women that dive "DIR" have expressed some views on gear and how it could be improved from their point of view. And as a company in the business to make money they want to venture into that and see if it produces?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom