Is different equipment for women DIR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a small backplate. So does another woman in my dive club. Is this considered special woman gear? It's still a backplate. It fits.

Can't see UTD improving on the basics with woman-specific gear.

UTD is a business so marketing wise maybe they have done some studies and enough women that dive "DIR" have expressed some views on gear and how it could be improved from their point of view. And as a company in the business to make money they want to venture into that and see if it produces?

UTD did put out a questionnaire a couple of years ago asking women about fit of their dive gear and how it could be improved. I was one of the women who filled in the questionnaire and complained that my small backplate, and especially my wing, was too long for me and protruded above my head no matter how low the bp was, and that I knew one other petite person with the same issue. I suggested either a shorter wing or making the connection point adjustable, ie) more than one set of holes, and then suggested the same to the manufacturer of my bp/w. The other manufacturer asked if I could send pics showing the holes a friend drilled in my kit to attach the wing lower, which I did. This issue wouldn't affect many people, but it seems to be an easy fix. They said they would look into manufacturing a shorter wing with slightly less lift or the same lift and slightly wider, as well as multiple connection points. In almost the same amount of time, UTD has come out with something. Time will tell how well it fits very petite women.

Like someone else said, there are small bp's already but they are not considered non-DIR. As far as I can see, for a bp/w to be DIR, there has to be continuous webbing, an attached crotch strap looped through the waistband, and 5 D-rings at specific spots. If those requirements are met, the bp/w is DIR.

I agree with the below. From what I've seen on the UTD Facebook page it does not APPEAR (to my read) there will be a rigid (SS or aluminum) BP, however.

Like someone else said, there are small bp's already but they are not considered non-DIR. As far as I can see, for a bp/w to be DIR, there has to be continuous webbing, an attached crotch strap looped through the waistband, and 5 D-rings at specific spots. If those requirements are met, the bp/w is DIR.

Not in my opinion- a small backplate is about size not sex. Both men and women purchase them. I prefer a short plate but can use a regular plate. My 6'2" BF uses a regular plate but could use one of my short plates in a pinch.

That's different than what was referenced in the OP.

I have a small backplate. So does another woman in my dive club. Is this considered special woman gear? It's still a backplate. It fits.

I agree with the below. From what I've seen on the UTD Facebook page it does not APPEAR (to my read) there will be a rigid (SS or aluminum) BP, however.

While this makes sense and we hear it sometimes, I don't see a rigid bp in the equipment requirements in the GUE standards anyway, Appendix A, p. 85.

Yeah I don't think women specific is "small" my wife is 5 10 so she does not need a different bp or wing or fins and my daughter whom was certified this year is 5 4 and she uses a standard bp/w set up halcyon cinch and it works well for her.

Maybe off topic but its funny how marketing works, and people fall for it most of the time even though they don't think they do. So what would make gear women specific? Lace and satin? Cute patterns like flowers and "Hello Kitty" (not trying to be sexist so please do not crucify me :) ) DIR is DIR regardless of appearance typcially correct? One continuous piece of webbing D rings in certain spots, rig not cluttered with danglng gear that is not needed...ect

Now I am curious to see what they have developed

What I get from it is a focus on fit to provide better function. Although "female" is used its transferable to everyone. I've fit hundreds of people with backplate and wings and I would be thankful for some "tweaks" to dial in fit.

Everyone asks why BP/W don't surpass poodle jackets in sales even though we all know the benefits of them.........well.......this solid platform of metal and webbing does not look "enticing"....they are extremely hard to sell to beginners and especially women. The extra parts the other brands have (shoulder pads, plate pads etc) help soften the look and make it more appealing. Add in more color choice instead of Navy Seal black and it might help get people into a better platform from the start.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom