Is DM-ing incompatible with DIR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Charlie99:
What sort of DM-ing? It's doesn't seem that being DM for a bunch of tourists in a tropical resort isn't compatible with DIR philosophy, primarily because you are diving with unknown divers of unknown skill levels.
If your idea of being a DM is herding cattle in the tropics then I would say tat the two are incompatible. However, if you hold yourself to a higher standard I don't see why the two are incompatible.

For example, I generally don't want a DM around. I'm careful about who I dive with and we plan our dives carefully so don't need someone to hold my hand. If I was somewhere I hadn't been before I might appreciate a DM that could function as a member of our team while acting as a guide and helping point out things which might be over looked by someone who wasn't familiar with the site. Acting in his capacity I feel that being a DM could be compatible with DIR.

Charlie99:
It's also irrelevant.
To everyone trying to assert this is a stupid question I suggest you step back and think outside the box a little.

I haven't taken DIR-F yet, but wouldn't there be a DM involved there? I think there is a big diffence between being a tour guide and a DM. It's the difference between being a teacher and reading straight out of the book day after day to a class full of kids.

While DMs commonly assist with classes, that's not really a DM's job. That's the job of an AI. The DM would be diving solo to hook up to and unhook from wrecks. There's no reason 2 DMs couldn't do this, although ecomonics would prevent paying a secong DM for the job.

I think the fact that it's an issue is more of a problem with modern instruction than with DIR..

Walter:
While DMs commonly assist with classes, that's not really a DM's job. That's the job of an AI. The DM would be diving solo to hook up to and unhook from wrecks. There's no reason 2 DMs couldn't do this, although ecomonics would prevent paying a secong DM for the job.
A DM can be a huge help with a class, he can help with skill development/practice he can be a benifit in many ways beyond lugging clynders anchor retiver and general coffee boy its all about how you use the skill the dive master brings to the class.

In a GUE class, the instructor brings has a buddy. If you dive with a buddy while DMing, you're A-OK, otherwise, for all intents and purposes, you are solo diving, which is decidedly not DIR.

cornfed:
To everyone trying to assert this is a stupid question I suggest you step back and think outside the box a little.

He didn't say it was stupid, he said it was irrelevant. And I agree.
This, to me, is a basic problem with DIR. It's a 100% black or white thing, and life ain't. Wendy, by her admission, is giving up a job that she apparently would like to do because she can't dive DIR. To me, that is hogwash (no offense Wendy, its your decision).

A DM is doing a job. If that job requires you to be solo, use "non-acceptable" equipment, whatever, then, if you want to do the job, you adhere to the standards and equipment set. What you do after "work" is up to you. They are mutually exclusive activities.

My original question/answer still stands. Does it matter? No.

MD

Walter:
Very true, but you missed the point.
well following the reasoning then all DIR divers will not be DM's which is a waste of the DIR diver/DM skill and time skill in being able to promote and demonstrate good skills and time in being able to give the dedication to become a DM.
I hope all our DIR DM and AI do not quit on reading this, they do a great service to DIR and as DM no doubting there dedication to being the best they can and some times we can compromise to help others learn more if not then why would you be a DM safety is and should be a goal and priority.
If I still missed the point I apologize

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom