Is DUI really the best?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi GatorJoe,

DUI is currently running a $770 FREE Stuff - promotion till March 1. If you purchase a stock sized drysuit you receive a free upgrade to a Select drysuit (this offers color choice and extended sizing, and choice of boots). You also receive a sport package which includes (1) pocket, CF200 knee pads and Ultra drysuit hood. AND ActionWear Professional pullover & pants. Also drysuit and divewear bags are included, inflator hose, etc.,.

As mentioned in the threads, sizing is important. You can easily take measurements to see if you fit a Select Size (http://www.dui-online.com/pdf/size_chart.pdf) And our measuring instructions are here (http://www.dui-online.com/pdf/measuring_instructions.pdf).

We feel we have the best warranty in the business. I read what information BARE had on their warranty on their website. Normal wear and tear is not covered in the 'life' of their garment.

As for the 'bubble' in the drysuit and the Fusion being able to compensate for this. Take a drysuit course and you will be good to go. A drysuit should not have a large amount of air moving inside it. A small amount is needed to keep your insulation warmth.

We always bring lots of drysuits to dive shows. We believe we are the best and encourage divers to put one on and go diving (DUI DOG Rally & Demo Tour Events).

March 20th will be our DOG Rally & Demo Tour Event in San Diego. If you are able to attend, come on down to San Diego. The diving is a bit limited as it is in the National Polytechnic College of Science dive tank. On the plus size the visibility and surface conditions are always great.

Hope this helps.

Happy diving -

Kathy

So why should i buy DUI?

"Is DUI really the best?" No; I haven't had good wear with DUI suits.

...we're in the seattle area so we dive in cold water.

I stopped wearing a Dry Suit for local diving in Vancouver because the water was too warm. Sorry, but some Florida divers think 75 degrees is cold. Seattle divers think 50 degrees is cold. 30 degrees is cold water. Just saying... :mooner:

I've asked around and most people ive talked to said DUI is the best and some people have said you pay a lot for the name and u can find other brands that are just as good?

When it comes to Dry Suits, ask any commercial diver; he makes his living in the cold water environment. A Dry Suit has to be warm. It has to be dependable. It has to be tough. It has to be Viking.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

This thread has been moved to the Exposure Suit Forum, as it's not a question for DUI as a manufacturer, but is a question for members asking for opinions ON DUI Suits

I have had a diving concepts suit for some time and I think its as good looking and probably more durable than the dui's. The DC website though is a disaster.

I've been looking forward to the DUI DOG Rally, but I notice there's a White's Demo Day local to me that's fairly soon. However, their site didn't have nearly the information on the demo event that DUI does. Is it similar in nature?

well i ended up buying (2) Bare TriLam Tech HD's. after talking with a bunch of people on here, people at work, people i've taken classes with, instructors... i found a mish mash of opinions which led me to believe that dui is not hands down the best. which is what i was looking to find out. i found people had just as much problems w/ dui's as with any suit out there. several people from unrelated sources have told me that dui is known for having a lot of backlog for their service. which means they either have a lot of failure or they have slow service in general. of course opinions are not scientific but i simply don't have the time to try on and test every single drysuit out there so i am prepared for the fact i may not find the perfect suit for me.

also, i tried on a couple of different DUI's and a White's and the Bare and the Bare was a lot more comfortable, especially with bending over. with the DUI's, i felt constricted. my wife got the hi-loft undergarment and i got the one down from that (t100 i think). since i dont get as cold as she does. i was baking in the store in the one i was in whereas she was not as much. went with latex seals and tech dry hood.

should be getting them in about a week. thx everyone for their input.

Congrats on the Suit,

That is what My girlfriend and I got. Hopefully you got the Suspenders and 2 Large zippered Pockets. If not I would definetly add them in. With any luck you will be as happy as we are with the suits. For undergarments we went with the 2 Piece Fourth Element Arctic. Great for layering if you need more then that.

i found a mish mash of opinions which led me to believe that dui is not hands down the best.

Congrats on the new suits and welcome to the WWW - Wonderful World of Warm!

Pretty sure I know what you mean with the above quote, but I think you've written it a bit wrong. If not, perhaps it's that you had a faulty premise coming in to the discussion (that being the naive notion that there IS such thing "the best" suit) and found out that your premise is flawed.

No, DUI is not "hands down the best" nor is any suit capable of being such. "Best" is an impossible combination of objective and subjective factors that are not only highly individualized to the diver but also their diving style, type of diving they do, the environments in which they dive, budget, priorities, etc.

Is Patek Phillipe "the best watch" hands down? By many measures it is, unless you want to go swimming with it.

Is a Ferrari "the best car" hands down? Many would say yes, unless you need to bring your wife, three kids, and luggage with you.

Is surf and turf "the best dinner entree" hands down? Not if you're a vegetarian who keeps Kosher.

Is a hammer "the best tool" hands down? Depends...

Din_95_96_97_Slotted_Wood_Screws_with_Raised_Round_Countersunk_Head.jpg

As folks have pointed out above, a drysuit is a tool. You need to evaluate your own specific needs compared to all of the various drysuit tools available to determine what's "hands down the best" for you. Sounds like you found it - that's the hardest part. Enjoy it!

I've been looking forward to the DUI DOG Rally, but I notice there's a White's Demo Day local to me that's fairly soon.

In my experience, yes, the event was essentially the same. Lots of gear to try, and you got to dive it.

We feel we have the best warranty in the business. I read what information BARE had on their warranty on their website. Normal wear and tear is not covered in the 'life' of their garment.

Hi Kathy,
Can you point me to the section of your warranty that staes you'll cover normal wear & tear? I'm trying to figure out how DUI has a better warranty that Bare in this regard. Are you saying that if a suit has any wear within 7 years that you'll fix it?

I'm interested in getting a drysuit and am deciding between DUI and Bare, though admittedly I'm currently heavily leaning toward BARE based on hearing of some LDS's no longer carrying DUI due to extreme service delays and lots of need for service. I'm hoping you can provide some info to 'right the scales'. Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom