Is Ginnie Springs good diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Souds like it's worth while.

In the springs, its an outflow. Ginnie is a first magnitude spring, so I think the system flows more than 3 million gallons per hour or something ridiculous like that. So yes, there is definitely "current". We refer to the underground current as "flow". Ginnie is a high flow cave so there is a lot of water trying to push you out the hole time. It's so strong that you can't really swim into it. You have to pull your way in. You won't find that in Mexico where the water is relatively static. I would say the viz in MX is better on average, but the vis in FL is still great in most places. Ginnie usually has 60-80ft, depending on where you are in the system.

That's probaly smart advice. I take it they have lines throughout the cavern system? I did some cavern, small cave, diving at depth in Coz, Devil's Throat. I take it it's not deep here?

I would highly advise against going into a cavern with just an AOW cert. You need the skills and training taught in a cavern class to penetrate even a little bit safely.

The Ballroom is unique in that it is a large, wide cavern with enough flow to push out any silt you may stir up. On top of that, it's mostly a sand and rock bottom that would silt too bad, anyway. They also have the grate in there to keep people from going in too far. Not all caverns will be like this.

I honestly don't remember if they have a line running into the Ballroom or not.

The Devil's system has lines running all through it but the beginning of the main line is pretty far in...you're well in the cave before you get to the line. It's pretty common for the main line to be set far back and out of the cavern zone anywhere OW divers are allowed.

The Devil's system has lines running all through it but the beginning of the main line is pretty far in...you're well in the cave before you get to the line. It's pretty common for the main line to be set far back and out of the cavern zone anywhere OW divers are allowed.

So do you have any pointers on tying into the Devil's from say... the ear? :) :) :)

Seems like there is one in the Ballroom but unless you go around to the left side, there is no place in there that you lose daylight so you really don't need a line. It's worth "trying" to get into the entrance of the Devils Ear (eye??) It's best described as swimming up a fire hose but swimming is an inaccurate term, you grab on to the rocks and claw your way in....lose your grip and you are spit out. I would not recommend going any farther than just past the entrance but nothing wrong with going in a short way and then leaving. Without a cave or cavern your not allowed lights so only a fool would go past where he can see. It is kinda fun to set on that big log and watch OW divers get spit out. How the heck cavers get in there with all that gear is beyond me.

are non cave divers allowed to dive in the Ear or Eye? When you go there where do you stay? Who, and how, do they prevent you from diving with lights tucked in your bc? Are you checked?

Seems like there is one in the Ballroom but unless you go around to the left side, there is no place in there that you lose daylight so you really don't need a line. It's worth "trying" to get into the entrance of the Devils Ear (eye??) It's best described as swimming up a fire hose but swimming is an inaccurate term, you grab on to the rocks and claw your way in....lose your grip and you are spit out. I would not recommend going any farther than just past the entrance but nothing wrong with going in a short way and then leaving. Without a cave or cavern your not allowed lights so only a fool would go past where he can see. It is kinda fun to set on that big log and watch OW divers get spit out. How the heck cavers get in there with all that gear is beyond me.

They don't specifically forbid OW divers from going into the ear and eye. The light ban is how they control the access. I'm assuming that when you check in, if you don't have a cave cert, they let you know about the "no lights" rule. Plus, there are signs all over warning about the dangers and the light ban.

No one goes around checking divers as they gear up so you might be able to slip a light in a BC pocket. However, there will be cave divers all around you gearing up, too. If they see you slipping a light in a pocket, they will likely confront you about it. If you are found inside in cave and don't belong, you will be confronted and reported. You would most likely be kicked out at that point and not allowed back in. This isn't done to be mean or elitist. It's done because coming across a body in the cave would really suck ass.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom